1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Magnetic field strength for circular loop

1. May 5, 2016 #1
    When deriving the magnetic field strength due to a circular loop at some distance away from it's center (using Biot-Savart's law), why is the angle between ds and r 90 degrees?

This is a youtube video with the derivation, see 5:55

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\vec {dl}## is in the ##yz## plane. As drawn it is in the negative ##y## direction, so that ##\vec {dl} \perp \vec r## for the ##r## in the ##xz## plane. From Pythagoras you have ##R^2 + x^2 = r^2##. All ##\vec r## have the same length (from symmetry - rotation around the x-axis) - so this ##R^2 + x^2 = r^2## is true for all ##\vec r## -- so all these are rectangular triangles

4. May 5, 2016 #3

Hesch

Gold Member

The 90 degrees comes from the cross product in Biot-Savart's law.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRON33tiq2s6fV0t1bSr3vau3hjKA34sHpOjW5YhE1z0ZBVNigw.png

5. May 5, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@Hesch: I would say the 90 degrees is used to simplify ##\vec a\times\vec b## to ##|\vec a||\vec b|## in BS, not that it comes from BS.

6. May 5, 2016 #5
    r is not pointing straight out of the yz plane, so why is it perpendicular?

7. May 5, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The ##\vec r## as drawn in the picture is in the xz plane. The ##\vec {dl}## as drawn is perpendicular to the xz plane: it is in the negative y direction. So that ##\vec {dl}## is perpendicular to that ##\vec r##.
    For all other ##\vec {dl}## (in the yz plane) you can see they are ##\perp## 'their' ##\vec R## and also ##\perp## to the x-axis, so ##\perp## the plane in which their ##\vec R##, the x-axis and also ##\vec r##.

Bringing in Pythagoras was unnecessary - a mistake on my part.

8. May 5, 2016 #7

Hesch

Gold Member

Sorry, maybe it's a danish term.
    Try to write something in danish to me. Maybe I will comment it. :wink:

9. May 5, 2016 #8
    So just because yz is perpendicular to xz? There is no way dl is perpendicular to r because r extends from the yz plane down to xy, making an angle that is not 90 degrees.

10. May 6, 2016 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, not just because yz ##\perp## xz. Because ##\hat y \perp## xz for the situation as drwn in the video. In general:

Point P goes around the ring. At all such P $$ \vec {dl}\perp \vec R \quad \& \quad \hat x \perp \vec {dl} \quad \Rightarrow \quad \vec {dl}\perp (\vec x - \vec R) = \vec r $$

upload_2016-5-6_12-55-15.png

Hesch: jeg forstar lidt Dansk

Attached Files:

11. May 6, 2016 #10
    I lost you at dl perpendicular to x - R, why did you do that? And why is it equal to r?

12. May 6, 2016 #11

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

dl is perpendicular to ##\vec R##
    dl is perpendicular to ##\hat x## so dl is perpendicular to ##\vec x##
    that means dl is perpendicular to the plane in which both ##\vec R## and ##\vec x## lie.
    That plane is described by ##a\vec x + b \vec R##.
    The vector ##\vec r## is ##\vec R -\vec x## so it is in that plane.
    Why is ##\vec r=\vec x -\vec R## ?
    i don't know how to say that. Perhaps a picture helps ?

upload_2016-5-6_22-46-10.png

Attached Files:

13. May 6, 2016 #12
    Okay, I see where x - R comes from.

So this is how I'm comprehending it:
    dl is pointing outwards (imagine a wire pointing out), so any r from its surface is perpendicular to it.
    Before, I was confusing dl with the z vector. The angle that r makes with z will not be perpendicular.

14. May 7, 2016 #13

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I think the reason is that they look for field only along the ##z## axis. I guess there the integral can be solved analytically, while the field of the current-conducting circular loop at an arbitrary position leads to elliptic integrals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted