Magnetic Fields & Loops of Current: Explained

In summary, the professor note states that if a material causes a magnetic field that is different above and below a boundary, a surface current is created. Additionally, all magnetic fields are created by loops of current, which can be explained by the concept of divergence from Maxwell's equations.
fricke
**Not a homework question.

In my professor note, it says that:
"If a material causes magnetic field (in parallel direction to the surface charge) below a boundary is not the same as the boundary (in parallel direction to the surface charge) above the boundary, then a surface current is created".

and also:
"all magnetic fields are created by loops of current".

Could someone please explain what do these two statements mean? thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
fricke said:
**Not a homework question.

In my professor note, it says that:
"If a material causes magnetic field (in parallel direction to the surface charge) below a boundary is not the same as the boundary (in parallel direction to the surface charge) above the boundary, then a surface current is created".

and also:
"all magnetic fields are created by loops of current".

Could someone please explain what do these two statements mean? thank you.

Since you did not elaborate on the level you are at with this class, I can only give you a link on what I HOPE that you are able to comprehend. Look at the derivation leading up to the conclusion at the bottom of Page 4-7 on the tangential component of H.

http://local.eleceng.uct.ac.za/courses/EEE3055F/lecture_notes/2011_old/eee3055f_Ch4_2up.pdf

The answer to your last question is from one of Maxwell equations, i.e. the divergence of a magnetic field is zero (i.e. no magnetic source or sinks). Again, without knowing at what level you are at, I have no idea if you even know the concept of "divergence" or understand the physics behind Maxwell equations.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you very much for the reply and PDF link!

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be observed. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons. The strength and direction of a magnetic field can be represented by magnetic field lines.

2. How do magnetic fields interact with each other?

Magnetic fields can either attract or repel each other, depending on their orientation. Like poles repel, while opposite poles attract. This is known as the magnetic force.

3. What is a loop of current?

A loop of current is a closed pathway through which an electric current flows. It can be created by connecting the positive and negative terminals of a power source with a conductor, such as a wire.

4. How does a loop of current create a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a loop, it creates a magnetic field around the loop. The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the curled fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-life applications of magnetic fields and loops of current?

Magnetic fields and loops of current have a wide range of applications in our everyday lives. Some examples include electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation trains. They also play a crucial role in the Earth's magnetic field and compass navigation.