Magnetic Fields and Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle with mass, charge, and velocity, and a uniform magnetic field. The equation F = qv x B is used to find the particle's acceleration, but the sine term is initially overlooked. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering the angle between the two vectors and suggests breaking the problem into two components.
erik-the-red
Question

A particle with mass [tex]1.81 \times 10^{-3}\;{\rm kg}[/tex] and a charge of [tex]1.22 \times 10^{-8}\;{\rm C}[/tex] has, at a given instant, a velocity [tex]\vec{v} = (3.00 \times 10^{4}\;{\rm m}/{\rm s})\hat{j}[/tex].

What is the magnitude of the particle's acceleration produced by a uniform magnetic field [tex]\vec{B}=(1.63\;{\rm T})\hat{i} + (0.980\;{\rm T})\hat{j}[/tex]?

I use the equation F = qv (CROSS) B.

I rewrite this as F = q*v*B*sin().

I plug into get F = (1.22*10^(-8))*(3.00*10^(4))*(1.90) and get (6.96*10^(-4)).

I divide this by the mass, but my answer is wrong.

Obviously my procedure is not correct. What's up?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot the sine term.

So the angle is not 90 degrees?

Most certainly not. You have two vectors, one with only j component, but the other has i and j components. You could just compute the cross product, or you could figure out the angle. Or you could break the problem into two components: B parallel to v and B perpendicular to v.

I just figured it out. Thanks!

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and is typically represented by magnetic field lines.

2. How do magnetic fields affect acceleration?

Magnetic fields can affect the acceleration of charged particles, such as electrons, by exerting a force on them. This force, known as the Lorentz force, is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the velocity of the charged particle.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic fields and electric fields?

Magnetic fields and electric fields are closely related and can be thought of as different aspects of the same phenomenon, known as electromagnetism. They both involve the interaction of electric charges but have different effects on charged particles.

4. How are magnetic fields measured?

Magnetic fields can be measured using a device called a magnetometer, which detects the strength and direction of the magnetic field. The unit of measurement for magnetic fields is the tesla (T) or gauss (G).

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic fields and acceleration?

Magnetic fields and acceleration have many practical applications, including in generators, motors, and particle accelerators. They are also used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines, and in compasses for navigation.