1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Fields and Acceleration

1. Oct 8, 2006 #1

A particle with mass [tex]1.81 \times 10^{-3}\;{\rm kg}[/tex] and a charge of [tex]1.22 \times 10^{-8}\;{\rm C}[/tex] has, at a given instant, a velocity [tex]\vec{v} = (3.00 \times 10^{4}\;{\rm m}/{\rm s})\hat{j}[/tex].

What is the magnitude of the particle's acceleration produced by a uniform magnetic field [tex]\vec{B}=(1.63\;{\rm T})\hat{i} + (0.980\;{\rm T})\hat{j}[/tex]?

I use the equation F = qv (CROSS) B.

I rewrite this as F = q*v*B*sin().

I plug in to get F = (1.22*10^(-8))*(3.00*10^(4))*(1.90) and get (6.96*10^(-4)).

I divide this by the mass, but my answer is wrong.

Obviously my procedure is not correct. What's up?
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

You forgot the sine term.
  4. Oct 8, 2006 #3
    So the angle is not 90 degrees?
  5. Oct 8, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Most certainly not. You have two vectors, one with only j component, but the other has i and j components. You could just compute the cross product, or you could figure out the angle. Or you could break the problem into two components: B parallel to v and B perpendicular to v.
  6. Oct 9, 2006 #5
    I just figured it out. Thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?