Magnetic Force Question Really givin me a heart burn

In summary, a beam of electrons traveling along an evacuated tube towards a fluorescent screen will follow a circular path if it is exactly parallel to the axis of the tube due to the force of the magnetic field produced by a coil around the tube. However, if the beam is at a slight angle with the axis of the tube, the velocity will be decomposed into components parallel and perpendicular to the magnetic field, resulting in a curved path. The properties of the cross product between velocity and magnetic field play a crucial role in determining the motion of the beam.
saltrock
1)A beam of electrona travels along an evacuated tube towards a floriscent screen.A coil is placed around the tube producing magnetic field along the axis of the tube.

a)describe and explain the motion of the beam if:

1)it is exactly parallel to the axis of the tube
My working:
I think it will go in a circular but don't know why

2)If it makes a slight angle with the axis of the tube

Any kinda help wud highly be appriciated

2)A marble toy has a vertical circle of track of diameter D.V1 is the speed of approach which just allows the marble to complete the loop.

(small marble) o --------->V1 O |Diameter of big marble

a)state the force producing the centripetal acceleration at the top of the loop in this case.
ans;I think its the weight,isnt it?

b)write down an energy conservation equation relating the velocity of approach V1,and the marble's velocity at the top of the loop ,V2 .assume that the track is friction less

c)write down the centripetal force equationfor the marble at he top of the loop and rearrange it to give an expression for V2.

Any help wud highly be appriciated

Physics news on Phys.org
saltrock said:
1)A beam of electrona travels along an evacuated tube towards a floriscent screen.A coil is placed around the tube producing magnetic field along the axis of the tube.

a)describe and explain the motion of the beam if:

1)it is exactly parallel to the axis of the tube
My working:
I think it will go in a circular but don't know why

The equation for magnetic force on a charged particle is proportional to the cross product between the velocity vector and the magnetic field. What are the properties of the cross product ?

i figured out what to do when it is 90--the force is acting downwards..due to this force the electron follows the circular path...
what happens when it is not 90 degree

thanks in advance

then decompose the velocity into a component parallel to the magnetic field and another component perpendicular. You know what each component does, so you should be able to imagine what the sum does.

What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between two magnetic objects or materials.

How is magnetic force measured?

Magnetic force is typically measured using a device called a magnetometer, which measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field.

What factors affect the strength of magnetic force?

The strength of magnetic force depends on the distance between two objects, the strength of the magnetic field, and the magnetic properties of the materials involved.

Can magnetic force affect human health?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that magnetic force has any significant impact on human health.

How is magnetic force used in everyday life?

Magnetic force is used in many everyday technologies, such as electric motors, generators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It is also used in compasses for navigation and in speakers for sound production.