Magnetic force to hold machine and required Torque to drive

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of using a robot crawler with a magnet attached to climb up a vertical steel wall. The main questions revolve around the required magnetic force and torque to achieve this task. The solution involves considering the sum of forces acting on the robot, including gravity and friction, as well as the use of a magnet to pull the robot towards the wall. The direction of friction is crucial in determining the ability of the robot to stay in place or accelerate upwards.
Chilu1234

Homework Statement

The robot crawler has a magnet attached to it. The idea is to get the crawler up the wall.

What is the magnetic force required to hold a object (in this case) a robot crawler with an attached Magnet?
Is more magnetic force required to hold the crawler while it goes up the wall?

What is the Torque required to drive the robot crawler up the vertical steel wall while overcoming gravity and magnetic force.

Homework Equations

Sum of forces with x and y-axis is 0
and Torque based on Radius of wheel and friction force

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I have made a PDF file of the problem setup and variables and my solution.All formula I used is also there. I hope someone take a look at it and tell me if OK

Attachments

• Physics problem CKS v2.pdf
    451 KB · Views: 376
Physics news on Phys.org
If friction and gravity both act downwards, how can the robot stay in place or even accelerate upwards as those are the only external forces?
The robot is not sliding, you have static friction.

Likes Chilu1234
@mfb .

Are you saying the friction acts in the same direction of wheel motion? I did not fully understand your comment. Please clarify. sorry for the trouble.
I am 100% that gravity acts downwards. But don't understand friction direction?
Also, there is a magnet attached to the robot that is suppose to pull the machine to the vertical steel wall.

There are two vertical forces acting on the robot: gravity and friction. If the robot is not accelerating, their sum has to be zero. Gravity is pointing downwards, so friction has to point upwards.
If the robot is accelerating upwards, the net force has to point upwards, so you need even more friction pointing upwards.

Chilu1234 said:
Also, there is a magnet attached to the robot that is suppose to pull the machine to the vertical steel wall.
That is a horizontal force only. It is necessary to get friction, of course.

What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is the attraction or repulsion between two objects due to their magnetic properties. It is caused by the movement of electric charges, such as electrons, within the objects.

How does magnetic force hold a machine?

Magnetic force can hold a machine by using electromagnets, which are coils of wire with an electrical current running through them. This creates a magnetic field that can attract or repel other magnetic materials, providing a strong hold for the machine.

What is torque and how is it related to driving a machine?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. In the context of driving a machine, torque is the force that can cause the machine to move or rotate. It is important to consider the required torque when selecting a motor or engine to drive a machine.

How is torque calculated for a machine?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. In the case of driving a machine, this force could be provided by an engine or motor, and the distance would be the radius of the machine's shaft or gear.

What factors affect the magnetic force and required torque for a machine?

The strength of the magnetic field, the distance between the electromagnet and the magnetic material, and the amount of current running through the electromagnet all affect the magnetic force. For required torque, factors such as the weight and size of the machine, as well as the type of surface it is being driven on, can impact the amount of torque needed to move or rotate the machine.