How powerful should the magnet be to repel against gravity?

In summary, to repel one magnet against gravitational force upwards, the magnetic force should be greater than the force of gravity, which can be calculated using Newton's law and the gravitational constant.
spidey
i have two magnets and i want to repel one magnet against gravitational force upwards..so how powerful the magnet should be?i can calculate the gravitational force using Newton's law f=gm1m2/r2 where m1 is mass of Earth and m2 is mass of one magnet...so the magnetic force should be greater than this force ...help me...

Physics news on Phys.org
You require the force on the magnet to be equal to the force of gravity, as you said.

[tex] F = I \Delta l B sin \theta = \frac{Gm_{1}m_{2}}{r^{2}} [/tex]

spidey said:
i have two magnets and i want to repel one magnet against gravitational force upwards..so how powerful the magnet should be?i can calculate the gravitational force using Newton's law f=gm1m2/r2 where m1 is mass of Earth and m2 is mass of one magnet...so the magnetic force should be greater than this force ...help me...

Hi spidey! :smile:

Technically, it's Gm1m2/r2,

but we can write Gm1/r2 = g, the usual gravitational constant at the Earth's surface,

so f = Gm1m2/r2 = m2g. :smile:

What is the difference between magnetic force and gravity?

Magnetic force is a force that is exerted on objects that have an electric charge, while gravity is a force of attraction between objects with mass.

Which force is stronger, magnetic force or gravity?

Gravity is generally considered to be stronger than magnetic force. For example, the force of Earth's gravity keeps us firmly planted on the ground, while the force of Earth's magnetic field is not strong enough to hold us in place.

How do magnetic force and gravity interact with each other?

Magnetic force and gravity do not directly interact with each other. However, some objects, such as magnets, can experience both forces simultaneously. The force of gravity will act on the mass of the magnet, while the magnetic force will act on the electric charge of the magnet's particles.

Can magnetic force and gravity cancel each other out?

No, magnetic force and gravity do not cancel each other out. They are two separate forces that act independently on objects. However, they can both contribute to the overall force on an object.

How do magnetic force and gravity affect objects differently?

Magnetic force can cause objects to move or rotate, while gravity causes objects to fall toward each other. Additionally, magnetic force can be attractive or repulsive, while gravity is always attractive.