Magnetic Induction and Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation is about finding the magnetic induction and field for a problem involving Biot-Savart law and a solenoid. The equation for the magnetic field of a solenoid is used and the difference between magnetic induction and field is discussed. The value for the current is found to be too large and the appropriate equation for finding the magnetic induction is requested.
roam

Homework Statement

I would appreciate some help with the following problem:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7647/questionb.jpg

Homework Equations

This is an equation derived from Biot-Savart law:

[itex]B= \frac{\mu_0 I}{4 \pi s} \int^{\theta_2}_{\theta_1} cos \theta d \theta = \frac{\mu_0 I}{4 \pi s} (sin \ \theta_2 - sin \ \theta_1)[/itex]

Magnetic field of a solenoid: [itex]B= \mu_0 \frac{N}{l} I[/itex]

N is the number of turns.

Magnetic field of a solenoid

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Using the above equation above with R=L/2, θ2=-θ1=45°, and remembering that there are 4 sides, we find the magnetic field to be

[itex]B=\frac{\sqrt{2} \mu_0 I}{\pi R}[/itex]

However this gives the "magnetic field" at the center of the loop, not the "magnetic induction". So, what exactly is the difference between magnetic induction and field? And what equation do I have to use in order to find the magnetic induction?

(b) Since the system forms a kind of solenoid I use the equation for the magnetic field of solenoid:

The total length og the wire is 20cmx4=80cm, 100x80=80000cm. So

(4∏x10-7) (1/8) I = 50x10-6

Solving for current yields I= 318.6 A. This value seems too large to be realistic. And the question again asks for magnetic induction, not the field. What equation do I have to use here? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Magnetic Field is sometimes called "Magnetic induction" - particularly in older textbooks.

(a) I'm puzzled that you used the polar form for the integral, since your problem has rectangular symmetry.

(b) You could also use the result from part (a) to help you.

1. What is magnetic induction?

Magnetic induction is the process by which a magnetic field is created in a material when it is placed in the presence of a changing magnetic field.

2. How is magnetic induction related to electricity?

Magnetic induction is closely related to electricity through the principle of electromagnetic induction. When a conductor is moved through a magnetic field, it creates an electric current, and vice versa.

3. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force field that surrounds a magnet or a moving electric charge. It is responsible for creating a force on other magnets or moving electric charges within its vicinity.

4. How is the strength of a magnetic field measured?

The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G). One tesla is equivalent to 10,000 gauss. The strength of a magnetic field can also be measured using a magnetometer.

5. What are some real-life applications of magnetic induction and magnetic fields?

Magnetic induction and magnetic fields have many practical applications, including electric generators, transformers, motors, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in medical equipment such as MRI machines and in everyday devices like speakers and hard drives.