Magnetic levitation board not working

In summary, the conversation discusses the design and function of a magnetic levitation board with schematics attached. The user notes that the magnet does not levitate and shares that they used coil L1 as X1 & X2 and coil L2 as Y1 & Y2. They also mention possible label errors in the original schematic and the addition of resistors and capacitors. Other users suggest using a conducting object instead of a magnet and raising the Vcc/2 to 6V, resulting in success. The conversation concludes with Earnshaw's theorem stating it is impossible for a static system using only paramagnetic materials to levitate stably against gravity.
HighTechPower
Hi. I'm designing a magnetic levitation board based on schematics attached herewith. However it does not levitate the magnet. Plz note Q1 is P channel MOSFET. Also note that I used coil L1 as X1 & X2 and coil L2 as Y1 & Y2. Where Xs and Ys represents horizontal & vertical directions respectively. I think the original schematic has label errors for Xs and Ys as that confuse with horizontal and vertical directions otherwise I used same circuit. Another thing that I did not used R14, R16, C3, and C4.

Attachments

• sch_3.jpg
    sch_3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 116
  • sch_4.jpg
    sch_4.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:
HighTechPower said:
However it does not levitate the magnet.
I'm no expert in Maglev, but if you are using AC magnetic field drive, you are intending to lift a conducting object via eddy currents, right? I don't think you lift a magnet using AC magnetic fields...

Likes HighTechPower
Hi there. Now I also added the said resistors & capacitors however no success.

berkeman said:
lift a conducting object
and probably a non-magnetic one such as Aluminum?

Keith_McClary said:
and probably a non-magnetic one such as Aluminum?
Good question, but I don't know for sure. The demos that I've seen just used some metal plates, but I don't know if they were ferrous or not. Why would it matter with an AC magnetic field?

berkeman said:
but I don't know if they were ferrous or not. Why would it matter with an AC magnetic field?
Perhaps because AC levitation require interaction with the magnetic field from the current induced in the target object. A ferrous target will be attracted to the exciter magnet probably more strongly than the field from the eddy currents.

@HighTechPower, see if it will levitate a coin.

Referring to sch_4, any idea what the U1,2,3 sensors are? Do they detect light, or magnetic fields, or ?

Also, what are DL1,2,3?

Edit:
Looking at the circuit again I realized that it is a DC position servo. The U1,2,3 sensors are probably light sensors that detect when and how much the suspended object blocks light from the LEDs.

As such, a ferrous object is needed and following the original L1 and L2 connection instructions would be critical. I suggest you try their original configuration.
End Edit

Edit-2:
Also, trying to suspend a magnet will not work. A magnetic object will just spin in space and attract to the stronger field from L1 or, L2. (Might make an oscillator though!)
End Edit-2

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited:
Finally it's success with some changes to the original circuit.

Please! Please! Details Please!

Tom.G said:
Please! Please! Details Please!
Well bro I made changes attached in pic herewith. I simply raised Vcc/2 from 2.5 V to 6 V while keeping signals from hall effect sensors at 2.5 V with this circuit. For this to happen please note that resistors R19 & R23 should be of same value and similarly R18 & R24 should be of same value.

Attachments

• Changes.jpg
    Changes.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 117
I would like to see an image of the apparatus at work.

Keith_McClary said:
I would like to see an image of the apparatus at work.
Please see attachments.

Attachments

• Azeem's High Tech Power 41.jpg
    Azeem's High Tech Power 41.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Azeem's High Tech Power 42.jpg
    Azeem's High Tech Power 42.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Azeem's High Tech Power 43.jpg
    Azeem's High Tech Power 43.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Azeem's High Tech Power 46.jpg
    Azeem's High Tech Power 46.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Informative
Likes dlgoff, Tom.G and Keith_McClary
Earnshaw's theorem proves that it is impossible for a static system using only paramagnetic materials (such as ferromagnetic iron) to levitate stably against gravity.

HighTechPower said:
Well bro I made changes attached in pic herewith. I simply raised Vcc/2 from 2.5 V to 6 V while keeping signals from hall effect sensors at 2.5 V with this circuit. For this to happen please note that resistors R19 & R23 should be of same value and similarly R18 & R24 should be of same value.
But we never knew those existed. o_O :cry: :cry:

Anyhow, Glad it works. And thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,
Tom

1. Why is my magnetic levitation board not working?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a dead battery, a faulty power source, or a damaged circuit board. It is also possible that the magnets on the board are not strong enough to create the necessary magnetic field for levitation.

2. How can I fix my magnetic levitation board?

The first step is to check the battery and power source to ensure they are working properly. If they are, then you can try replacing the magnets on the board with stronger ones. It is also important to make sure that the board is on a flat and stable surface for optimal levitation.

3. Can I use any type of magnet for my magnetic levitation board?

No, not all magnets are suitable for magnetic levitation. The magnets used for this purpose are usually neodymium magnets, which are known for their strong magnetic properties. Other types of magnets may not be strong enough to create the necessary magnetic field for levitation.

4. Why does my magnetic levitation board only work for a short period of time?

If your board is only working for a short period of time, it could be due to a weak battery or a faulty power source. It is also possible that the magnets on the board are not strong enough to maintain the levitation for a longer period of time. Try replacing the battery or using stronger magnets to see if that improves the duration of the levitation.

5. Is it safe to use a magnetic levitation board?

Yes, it is generally safe to use a magnetic levitation board as long as you follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions. However, it is important to keep in mind that the magnets used for levitation can be very strong and may cause harm if handled improperly. It is also important to keep the board away from electronic devices, as the strong magnetic field can interfere with their functioning.