Magnetic moment of a current loop.

In summary, the magnetic moment of a current loop can be calculated using the general formula, but one must find a good argument to show that the area vector of the loop is equal to half the integral of the radial vector. This can be proven by considering the incremental arc length and wedge swept out by each incremental arc, leading to the conclusion that the magnetic moment is equal to the current times the area vector.
center o bass
Hello, calculating the magnetic moment of a current loop is trivial, but I want to do it with the general formula

[tex]\vec m = \frac{1}2 \int \vec r \times \vec J(\vec r) d^3\vec r[/tex]

The only thing which is stopping me is to find a good argument on why

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int \vec r d\vec r = \vec A[/tex] where [tex]\vec A[/tex] is the area vector of the loop. Is there a formal way of proving this or any intuitive diagrams one can draw to show that it must be true.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with:

[tex]\vec m = \frac{1}2 \int \vec r \times \vec J(\vec r) d^3\vec r[/tex]

If the current is confined to a single planar wire:

[tex]\vec J(\vec r) = I δ(z) δ(\vec r-\vec r' )[/tex]

which leads to:
[tex]\vec m = \frac{I}2 \int \vec r' \times \vec d r'[/tex]
[tex]\vec m = \hat{z}\frac{I}2 \int r' sin γ d r'[/tex]

Now a little bit of trigonometry reveals that sin γ d r' is just the incremental arc length ds of the arc perpendicular to the radial vector:
[tex]\vec m = \hat{z} I \int \frac{1}2 r' ds[/tex]
The incremental wedge swept out by each incremental arc is essentially just a triangle with area of one half the base length times height. Here r' is the length of the triangular wedge, and ds is the height of the wedge, so the integrand is just the area of the wedge:

[tex]\vec m =\hat{z} I \int d a[/tex]
[tex]\vec m = I \vec A[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is a magnetic moment of a current loop?

The magnetic moment of a current loop is the measure of the strength and direction of the magnetic field produced by the loop. It is a vector quantity that represents the product of the current flowing through the loop and the area enclosed by the loop.

2. How is the magnetic moment of a current loop calculated?

The magnetic moment of a current loop can be calculated using the formula μ = I*A, where μ is the magnetic moment, I is the current flowing through the loop, and A is the area enclosed by the loop. This assumes that the loop is a perfect circle and that the current is uniformly distributed throughout the loop.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic moment of a current loop?

The direction of the magnetic moment of a current loop is perpendicular to both the current flowing through the loop and the area enclosed by the loop. This is known as the "right-hand rule," where if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic moment.

4. How does the magnetic moment of a current loop affect its surrounding magnetic field?

The magnetic moment of a current loop determines the strength and direction of its surrounding magnetic field. The magnetic field is strongest at the center of the loop and decreases as you move away from the loop. The direction of the field is determined by the direction of the magnetic moment, following the right-hand rule.

5. What are some real-life applications of the magnetic moment of a current loop?

The magnetic moment of a current loop has many practical applications, such as in electromagnets, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines and particle accelerators. In addition, the Earth's magnetic field is believed to be produced by the magnetic moment of its core, which is thought to be a rotating current loop.