1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Moment of A Solenoid

1. Aug 25, 2008 #1
    Does anyone have an equation that describes the magnetic moment of a solenoid that does not actually use number of turns as an input?

I'm trying to validate a solenoid I have made with something like 11000 turns, but I'm not sure how accurate my number of turns in, so I need a second input that I can validate through testing (In this case, I can measure the magnetic flux at the poles of the solenoid).

I'm told that using a dipole equation for it is a decent approximation, but I'm really looking for a better approximation than that, since ideally a solenoid only becomes like a dipole at infinity.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2008 #2

clem

Science Advisor

The B field on the axis at one end of a solenoid is 1/2 what is given by the standard formula for the B field at the middle of a long solenoid.

4. Aug 25, 2008 #3
    Yes, but unfortunately the standard formula for the B field of a long solenoid has a
    dependence on N (turns).

I actually can measure B of my solenoid - its the magnetic moment I'm concerned about. I want to use the B field I measured to get a magnetic moment.

5. Aug 25, 2008 #4

clem

Science Advisor

In Gaussian units, the magnetic moment of a solenoid of length L with a field B at its center is m=BL/4pi.

6. Aug 26, 2008 #5

clem

Science Advisor

I left out the cross-sectional area of the solenoid.
    The mag moment should be m=BAL/4pi.

7. Aug 26, 2008 #6
    The units on that equation are a little weird. Right now, BAL/4pi is Tm^2 (or gauss*M^2). In my experience, magnetic moment is usually given in Am^2. I think the missing link is the magnetic constant - but adding it in with the 4pi leaves us with Am^3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook