Magnetic moment of an orbitting charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
wbrigg
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


"A particle of charge q is rotating in a circular orbit of radius r[/i with angular velocity w. Determine the magnetic moment associated with the motion of the charge.


Homework Equations


[tex]Q=IT[/tex]?
[tex]\vec{\mu}=I\vec{A}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I know how to do it, i just can't remember how to get work out the current of an orbitting charge. It's driving me insane, I know i know how to do it, i just can't remember! Please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember (current) = (charge passed through)/(time elapsed).

In this case, a charge q passes through a certain point every 2pi/w.
 
yeah, that's what i was thinking. it just seemed too easy!

so

[tex]\vec{\mu} = \frac{q \omega r^{2}}{2}[/tex]