Is This Rock Magnetite? Investigating Magnetic Ore Identification

In summary, Dave found traces of red dots that looks the red iron oxide on the rock and he thinks it's just another thing that comes with it.
YoungPhysicist
Insights Author
Yesterday as I was hiking with my friend, I found a weird rock:
63CB2083-9FC4-4057-98A0-AB5A6AD77F1C.jpeg

My guess is that it is magnetite, since the mountain I found it has the biggest magnetite deposit in Taiwan.But I am not sure.It sticks to neoindium magnets really well.
E5B9A729-4E7B-4185-9198-E7EB2B900DC6.jpeg

Close up:
A39FBC02-2C6F-45D8-97CD-AEFC50AEEF6B.jpeg

Is it something else,or it is magnetite as I thought?

Attachments

• 63CB2083-9FC4-4057-98A0-AB5A6AD77F1C.jpeg
    63CB2083-9FC4-4057-98A0-AB5A6AD77F1C.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 881
  • E5B9A729-4E7B-4185-9198-E7EB2B900DC6.jpeg
    E5B9A729-4E7B-4185-9198-E7EB2B900DC6.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 767
  • A39FBC02-2C6F-45D8-97CD-AEFC50AEEF6B.jpeg
    A39FBC02-2C6F-45D8-97CD-AEFC50AEEF6B.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 657
Likes davenn
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Young physicist said:
Yesterday as I was hiking with my friend, I found a weird rock:
View attachment 236845My guess is that it is magnetite, since the mountain I found it has the biggest magnetite deposit in Taiwan.But I am not sure.It sticks to neoindium magnets really well.

Close up:

Is it something else,or it is magnetite as I thought?

Hi there, welcome to PF :smile:the pictures are a little blurry so a little hard to tell.
since it came from a magnetite deposit, that would be the obvious answer and you are likely to find a variation of iron ore
types in such an area (Limonite and Haematite to name a couple) . There would be no real reason to suspect it to be anything else .

What makes you think that it would be something else ?

Dave

Likes YoungPhysicist
davenn said:
Hi there, welcome to PF :smile:the pictures are a little blurry so a little hard to tell.
since it came from a magnetite deposit, that would be the obvious answer and you are likely to find a variation of iron ore
types in such an area (Limonite and Haematite to name a couple) . There would be no real reason to suspect it to be anything else .

What makes you think that it would be something else ?

Dave
I found traces of red dots that looks the red iron oxide on the rock. Maybe it’s just some other things come with the rock.

Likes davenn
Young physicist said:
I found traces of red dots that looks the red iron oxide on the rock. Maybe it’s just some other things come with the rock.
That would be very typical :smile:

Likes jim mcnamara and YoungPhysicist
davenn said:
That would be very typical :smile:
Thanks!:biggrin:

Likes davenn

1. What is magnetic ore identification?

Magnetic ore identification is the process of determining the presence and concentration of magnetic minerals in a sample of rock or sediment. This information can be used to identify potential mineral deposits and aid in geological mapping.

2. How is magnetic ore identified?

Magnetic ore is identified through a combination of laboratory analysis and field measurements. In the lab, samples are analyzed using techniques such as magnetic susceptibility, remanent magnetization, and hysteresis loops. In the field, specialized instruments such as magnetometers are used to measure the magnetic properties of rocks and sediments.

3. What types of minerals can be identified through magnetic ore identification?

Common magnetic minerals that can be identified through this process include magnetite, hematite, and pyrrhotite. However, other minerals such as ilmenite, garnet, and chromite may also exhibit magnetic properties.

4. Why is magnetic ore identification important?

Magnetic ore identification is important because it can provide valuable information about the composition and potential economic value of a rock or sediment sample. It is also useful in mineral exploration and resource assessment, as well as in understanding the geological history and processes that have affected a particular area.

5. Are there any limitations to magnetic ore identification?

While magnetic ore identification can be a useful tool, there are some limitations to consider. Magnetic properties can vary greatly within a single sample, making it important to take multiple measurements and analyze different portions of the sample. Additionally, some minerals may exhibit weak or no magnetic properties, making them difficult to identify through this method alone.