Is there a type of powder that can attach to iron objects like a magnet?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of magnetic powder that can attach itself to iron objects and have a self-magnetic field after drying. While monopoles do not exist, it is possible to mix magnetic powder with Silly Putty or glue to create a magnetized material. The question is raised about whether a ferromagnetic powder mixed with a plastic-liquid can be detected by a Hall effect sensor. Experimentation with magnetite powder is suggested.
roineust
Does any kind of magnetic powder exist?
I mean not iron powder, that is attracted to a magnet but vice versa, a type of powder, that when i take an iron nail or screw and get it close to that powder, the powder will attach itself to that iron object and stay there, for as long as it is not taken off.

Physics news on Phys.org
If there was, what would keep it from sticking together in a lump?

Likes AdityaDev
jerromyjon said:
If there was, what would keep it from sticking together in a lump?
Great answer. But if I were to isolate a single powder particle, then it should also exist as a dipole.

If you found a particle that wasn't a dipole, you'd be famous.

Likes AdityaDev
M
jerromyjon said:
If you found a particle that wasn't a dipole, you'd be famous.
Magnetic monopoles do not exist.

roineust said:
Does any kind of magnetic powder exist?
I mean not iron powder, that is attracted to a magnet but vice versa, a type of powder, that when i take an iron nail or screw and get it close to that powder, the powder will attach itself to that iron object and stay there, for as long as it is not taken off.

You realize that iron filings can be magnetized, I hope. And yes, they do clump up in a blob when individual filings are put close to one another.

You can also add these filings to Silly Putty and mix the two up. It makes a cool magnet-hungry blob, as seen in the video at the attached article:

http://science.wonderhowto.com/insp...tty-into-freakish-magnet-hungry-blob-0128239/

Likes Danger and jerromyjon
AdityaDev said:
Magnetic monopoles do not exist.
QED theory suggests that they should exist. Just because they haven't been found does not prove they do not exist.

SteamKing said:
You realize that iron filings can be magnetized
I debated on mentioning this, almost any magnetic material will retain a residual magnetic charge when removed from a strong field.
SteamKing said:
add these filings to Silly Putty
I'm curious what would happen around a DC current flow.

Let me rephrase the question:
Does there exist any kind of liquid-glue that can dry, which after drying has a permanent magnetic field?

IDK what drying has to do with producing a magnetic field. It seems to me if you can put magnetic powder in Silly Putty, you can do the same with a pot of glue.

Yes,
But as much as i understood, the magnetic putty has no self magnetic field, it reacts to the magnetic field of a magnet. i am looking for such a kind of putty or rather drying color, which has a measurable self magnetic field after drying. Not the kind of liquid matter that relies on a magnet to react, but liquid-plastic drying matter which has its own magnetic field.

roineust said:
Yes,
But as much as i understood, the magnetic putty has no self magnetic field, it reacts to the magnetic field of a magnet. i am looking for such kind of putty or rather drying color, which has a measurable self magnetic field after drying. Not the kind of liquid matter that relies on a magnet to react, but matter which has its own magnetic field.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

The Silly Putty in the video demonstration was magnetic due to the powder mixed in it. A bunch of tiny little magnets can create a magnetic field, just not with the same field strength distribution as a big bar magnet can, for example.

If i take a ferromagnetic powder, such as in the following link and a Hall effect sensor and spread a few grams of the powder, as in drawing with sand on the table, will the Hall effect sensor be able to detect the powder lines?
If the answer is NO, does there exist such a powder or such a plastic-liquid, that does have such properties?
If the answer is YES, is it still yes, if i mix the powder at a certain ratio, with some sort of plastic-liquid?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261141008974?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:
roineust said:
If i take a ferromagnetic powder, such as in the following link and a Hall effect sensor and spread a few grams of the powder, as in drawing with sand on the table, will the Hall effect sensor be able to detect the powder lines?
If the answer is NO, does there exist such a powder or such a plastic-liquid, that does have such properties?
If the answer is YES, is it still yes, if i mix the powder at a certain ratio, with some sort of plastic-liquid?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261141008974?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Beats me. Why don't you get some magnetite powder and do an experiment?

1. What is magnetic powder?

Magnetic powder is a type of finely ground metal or alloy that exhibits magnetic properties. It is often used in various scientific and industrial applications, such as in the production of magnets, electronic devices, and magnetic recording media.

2. How is magnetic powder made?

Magnetic powder is typically made by grinding larger pieces of magnetic material into a fine powder. This can be done using various methods, such as ball milling, attrition milling, and jet milling. The resulting powder is then carefully processed to ensure that it has the desired particle size and magnetic properties.

3. What are the uses of magnetic powder?

Magnetic powder has a wide range of uses in various industries. It is commonly used in the production of magnets, as well as in the manufacturing of electronic devices, such as hard drives and speakers. It is also used in magnetic recording media, such as tapes and credit cards. Additionally, magnetic powder is used in various scientific experiments and research studies.

4. How does magnetic powder work?

Magnetic powder works by exhibiting magnetic properties, which are the ability to attract or repel other magnetic materials. This is due to the alignment of the tiny magnetic particles within the powder, which creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field can then interact with other magnetic fields, causing the powder to move or exert a force on other objects.

5. What are the advantages of using magnetic powder?

There are several advantages to using magnetic powder in various applications. It is relatively inexpensive to produce, can be easily manipulated and controlled, and has a wide range of uses. Additionally, magnetic powder is highly stable and does not degrade over time, making it a reliable and long-lasting material for industrial and scientific purposes.