Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic pull force with a gap

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    Hello. I'm a cabinetmaker and my college physics courses are 25 years behind me now. I'd consider it a kindness if someone would answer a question for me regarding magnetism.

I have a magnetic strip that is described as having 6.2 lb. of magnetic pull force per lineal foot, 1" wide and 0.020" thick, and at 0" of air gap.

How would I recalculate that for a gap of about 1/8" through a transparent material such as lexan?

I'm hoping it's as simple as applying some co-efficient or simple calculation based on the gap distance.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2
    there isn't a simple way to do it, you'll just need to measure the force for a single foot of the material with the spacing. Even then it will only be an approximation. the force for a single foot will be the force per foot you're looking for.

4. Apr 26, 2012 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I think I would try to determine it in experiment. While it is possible to calculate it with some additional assumptions about the magnetism in the strip, I think that the corresponding errors would be quite large.

Edit: Nice timing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook