1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic pull force with a gap

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    Hello. I'm a cabinetmaker and my college physics courses are 25 years behind me now. I'd consider it a kindness if someone would answer a question for me regarding magnetism.

I have a magnetic strip that is described as having 6.2 lb. of magnetic pull force per lineal foot, 1" wide and 0.020" thick, and at 0" of air gap.

How would I recalculate that for a gap of about 1/8" through a transparent material such as lexan?

I'm hoping it's as simple as applying some co-efficient or simple calculation based on the gap distance.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2
    there isn't a simple way to do it, you'll just need to measure the force for a single foot of the material with the spacing. Even then it will only be an approximation. the force for a single foot will be the force per foot you're looking for.

4. Apr 26, 2012 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I think I would try to determine it in experiment. While it is possible to calculate it with some additional assumptions about the magnetism in the strip, I think that the corresponding errors would be quite large.

Edit: Nice timing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook