Magnetic quantum number and spin

In summary: Generally, yes... But don't confuse that with the (much smaller) magnetic moment of the nucleus itself, and be careful about the context, as people aren't always consistent and careful in their use of words.
Freddy86
Hi, please could someone provide me with an explanation of the differences between the magnetic quantum number and the spin. I thought that the magnetism of an electron/fermion comes from its intrinsic quantum angular momentum (i.e. its quantum spin) which was evidenced by the Stern–Gerlach experiment. So what then does the magnetic quantum number represent and what does it have to do with the magnetic properties of a subatomic particle? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Freddy86 said:
Hi, please could someone provide me with an explanation of the differences between the magnetic quantum number and the spin. I thought that the magnetism of an electron/fermion comes from its intrinsic quantum angular momentum (i.e. its quantum spin) which was evidenced by the Stern–Gerlach experiment. So what then does the magnetic quantum number represent and what does it have to do with the magnetic properties of a subatomic particle? Thanks

Spin is the intrinsic angular momentum of the particle while the ##m## quantum number of a bound electron comes from its angular momentum about the nucleus. That angular momentum actually shows up in two of the quantum numbers: ##l## is the quantized magnitude of the "orbital" angular momentum vector, and ##m## is the quantized component of that vector along one axis.

(I put the word "orbital" in scare-quotes, because even though that's what we call we all know that the electron isn't really a little tiny ball going in orbit around the nucleus).

Nugatory said:
Spin is the intrinsic angular momentum of the particle while the ##m## quantum number of a bound electron comes from its angular momentum about the nucleus. That angular momentum actually shows up in two of the quantum numbers: ##l## is the quantized magnitude of the "orbital" angular momentum vector, and ##m## is the quantized component of that vector along one axis.

(I put the word "orbital" in scare-quotes, because even though that's what we call we all know that the electron isn't really a little tiny ball going in orbit around the nucleus).

Thanks for your reply. So I just found a really good video about magnetism in an atom () which says there is a contribution from the angular momentum about the nucleus (although it usually cancels out) and an intrinsic angular momentum (spin). So when people talk about the magnetism that comes form the angular momentum about the nucleus are they explicitly referring to magnetic quantum number (m).

Last edited by a moderator:
Freddy86 said:
So when people talk about the magnetism that comes from the angular momentum about the nucleus are they explicitly referring to magnetic quantum number (m).

Generally, yes... But don't confuse that with the (much smaller) magnetic moment of the nucleus itself, and be careful about the context, as people aren't always consistent and careful in their use of words.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the magnetic quantum number?

The magnetic quantum number, denoted as ml, is one of the four quantum numbers that describes the unique quantum state of an electron in an atom. It specifies the orientation of the orbital angular momentum of the electron in a particular orbital.

2. How is the magnetic quantum number related to the shape of an orbital?

The magnetic quantum number determines the shape of an orbital. It can have integer values ranging from -l to +l, where l is the orbital angular momentum quantum number. The orbital shape changes as the value of ml changes, with a value of 0 indicating a spherical shape.

3. What is spin in relation to the magnetic quantum number?

Spin is another quantum property of an electron, which is related to its magnetic moment. The magnetic quantum number, along with the spin quantum number, determines the total angular momentum of an electron in an atom. Spin can have two possible values: +½ or -½, representing the spin up and spin down states, respectively.

4. How does the magnetic quantum number affect the energy of an electron?

The energy of an electron is affected by the magnetic quantum number through the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two electrons in an atom can have the same set of four quantum numbers. This means that electrons with different values of ml will have different energies and occupy different orbitals in an atom.

5. What is the significance of the magnetic quantum number in the periodic table?

The periodic table is arranged based on the electronic configuration of elements, which is determined by the values of the four quantum numbers. The magnetic quantum number plays a crucial role in determining the order in which electrons fill the orbitals in an atom, thus influencing the chemical properties of elements and their placement in the periodic table.