Magnetic repulsion between a permanent magnet and an air coil

I would like to receive some input about this "equation" formulated by me, a=f(i), regarding a system with a permanent magnet and an air core coil acting as an electromagnet, as described in the image:

dantesequation.png

I understand that the acceleration provided to the toy car will be a function of the intensity of the magnetic field of the permanent magnet.

Without changes in the electric pulse to the coil, with the same amount of joules of electricity being provided, the magnetic repulsion and the consequent acceleration of the toy car will be higher when the intensity of the magnetic field of the permanent magnet is higher.

Is this right?

Attachments

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Without changes in the electric pulse to the coil, with the same amount of joules of electricity being provided, the magnetic repulsion and the consequent acceleration of the toy car will be higher when the intensity of the magnetic field of the permanent magnet is higher.

Is this right?
It is right. The kick (impulse) given to the toy car will be weaker if the magnet is placed farther away where the magnetic field at the coil is less. If you think of the coil as an instantaneous magnet, the farther apart the two magnets are placed, the weaker the repulsion between them. Of course the current in the coil must have the appropriate direction in order to get repulsion rather than attraction.