Magnetic resistance in generator, constant?

In summary, it seems that the Chinese farmer's idea of using a fan to fight smog may have some merit. It's possible that a turbine could be used to rotate as an efficient air displacer, and then the energy recovered could be used to power other devices.
harrycallahan
Is the resistance of the turning shaft equal in both cases where the output induction circuit is closed and broken. Or to put it another way, if the electrons are permitted to flow via induction does it make any difference to the magnetic resistance?

I'm hoping and expect the answer is that it doesn't matter i.e. constant magnetic resistance.

Though if it is different, how significant is it?

I'm getting confused thinking about the energy equation.

If current does flow then kinetic energy was transformed into electrical energy.

If current doesn't flow then where is the energy that was otherwise induced? Maybe the resistance has to change to account for that? Say if I'm hand cranking the generator then I will work harder to turn it at the same speed and more of my muscular energy will be used = to the induced current when the circuit is closed. Just musing, doubt that is right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not exactly sure what you mean by "output induction circuit is closed and open". I think you just mean if the output is connected to a load and because the output is the coils of the generator which are essentially inductors, that's what you meant by "output induction circuit".

In that case then to answer your question, yes the magnetic resistance you could say does differ.

The reason is simple, the more you load the generator, the higher the current in the windings (output), obviously greater current means bigger magnetic field and because the induced voltage from the turning of the shaft is induced in such a way as to create a current that will oppose that movement of the shaft. When the output is unloaded, then no current flows and thus no opposition created by the windings, you will still have a voltage induced but no current.

nemesiswes said:
I am not exactly sure what you mean by "output induction circuit is closed and open". I think you just mean if the output is connected to a load and because the output is the coils of the generator which are essentially inductors, that's what you meant by "output induction circuit".

I changed my terminology, but yes connected or not. Current flowing and not flowing.

As you can see I'm far from an expert on this topic, hence the question.

nemesiswes said:
...greater current means bigger magnetic field and because the induced voltage from the turning of the shaft is induced in such a way as to create a current that will oppose that movement of the shaft.

Is this saying the resistance at the shaft increases when current flows?

Edit: I believe the answer is yes, and that makes sense now. The induced current creates a field which opposes the fixed field hence more energy is consumed rotating the shaft when current is allowed to flow. (if rotated at same speed)

Last edited:
yes that is correct. It's all conservation of energy, lol. If it did create that Resistance to the turning of the shaft then you could create huge amounts of energy for very little effort.

Yes conservation of energy ;-)

The question pertains to this invention here,

'Chinese Farmer Fights Smog With Fan Power'
newsDOTskyDOTcom/home/world-news/article/16228695

(I need 10 posts to link)I still think it's feasible as an energy recovery device, if a turbine can act as an efficient (aerodynamic) air displacer and rotate as well.

Wonder what others think?

One problem. If an air particle contributes to the turbine rotation then it has less energy transferred to it, so it won't (in most cases) displace out of the vehicle's way as well as the alternative. Perhaps an optimal design does both and recovers energy.

1. What is magnetic resistance in a generator?

Magnetic resistance in a generator is the opposition to the flow of magnetic flux through the generator's magnetic circuit. It is caused by factors such as the material used in the magnetic core and the distance between the rotor and stator.

2. How does magnetic resistance affect the performance of a generator?

Magnetic resistance can affect the performance of a generator by causing losses in the system, which can result in reduced efficiency and power output. It can also affect the stability of the generator's operation and the quality of the output voltage.

3. Can magnetic resistance in a generator be adjusted?

Yes, magnetic resistance in a generator can be adjusted by changing the design of the magnetic circuit, such as using different materials or altering the distance between the rotor and stator. It can also be controlled by adjusting the amount of current supplied to the generator.

4. What is the relationship between magnetic resistance and generator speed?

Generally, as the speed of the generator increases, the magnetic resistance also increases. This is because the faster the rotor spins, the greater the opposition to the magnetic flux passing through the magnetic circuit. However, other factors such as the design and materials used can also affect this relationship.

5. How can magnetic resistance in a generator be minimized?

Magnetic resistance in a generator can be minimized by using high-quality materials with low magnetic resistance, optimizing the design of the magnetic circuit, and reducing the distance between the rotor and stator. Additionally, maintaining proper maintenance and ensuring the generator is operating within its rated values can also help minimize magnetic resistance.