1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Vector Potential

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A finite wire lies on the z axis and extends from the point z=-V to z=+V. the equation from griffiths introduction to electrodynamics (equation 5.62) can be used to determine the vector potential at a point in the xy plane a distance s from the wire to be A=mu(naught)I/4pi [integral of dx'/sqrt(s square + x' square) from -V to +V] k, where k is the direction vector. after calculation, it gives: A=mu(naught)I/2pi ln(V/s + sqrt[1+(V/s)square] k. for a finite wire, we should take the limit as V goes to infinity, but the result blows up in this case. the first part of my question is to show that in the limit V goes to infinity, the above result becomes A=mu(naught)I/2pi ln(2V/s) k this is simple as we can take V/s common in the logarithm part, and then take the limit of V to infinity to get the required equation. the second part of the question asks to take the curl of the achieved equation using cylindrical coordinates, and thereby determining the magnetic field B at points in the xy plane. this is where i get stuck!
    the third part is even harder and gives us that an equally good vector potential is given by A'=A+(delta)(lambda), where lambda is any scalar field we might wish to choose. what i need is a suitable choice for lambda so that A' remains finite in the limite V goes to infinity.

these two parts are giving me a hard time, i am sorry if i was very untidy in my representation, but if anyone could help me it wud be really nice, thanks!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted