1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetism - Quick solenoid question

1. Jan 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 200-turn solenoid having a length of 25cm and a diameter of 10cm carries a current of 0.29A. Calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field B inside the solenoid.

2. Relevant equations
    B = [tex]\mu[/tex]0ni

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I plugged the numbers into the equation and got 7.28x10^-5 T as the answer. However, this is wrong. The correct answer is meant to be 0.3 mT. I can't see where I've gone wrong because the magnetic field inside a solenoid is meant to be independent of its dimensions, right?

EDIT: I found the number of turns per unit length, then put that into the equation and still get the wrong answer. I'm confused.

B = 4[tex]\pi[/tex]x10-7 Tm/A x (200/0.25) x 7.5A = 7.28x10^-5.

I've no idea why I get that. Maybe the diameter has some significance that I haven't managed to see yet.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Show exactly what you plugged in for each factor.

4. Jan 13, 2009 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks to me like you are using the wrong current.

5. Jan 13, 2009 #4
    Oops. I apologise for wasting time. I used a current from a different question by accident :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?