Magnetization of a Helical coil in a Reservoir of parrafin

In summary: This is a coil of copper wire, not a coil of copper wire wound around a ferromagnetic core.The coil of copper wire is wound around a ferromagnetic core, not an immersed heating element.This appears to be an immersed heating element, not a coil of copper wire.
puya
To test an Experimental Model , my advisor said to make this investigation;

I have a Reservoir of parrafin,
Capacity is 50 liters,
Around this Reservoir there is a Helical copper Pipe, I have to magnetize the Reservoir by using Helical coil .
Many thanks For your assistance
B1B967BE-9EBB-4FD6-B373-86120586004C.jpeg

Attachments

• B1B967BE-9EBB-4FD6-B373-86120586004C.jpeg
    B1B967BE-9EBB-4FD6-B373-86120586004C.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to PF. What level of magnetic field were you planning on? What are your thoughts on this and what research have you done into solenoids?

Likes puya
sophiecentaur said:
Hi and welcome to PF. What level of magnetic field were you planning on? What are your thoughts on this and what research have you done into solenoids?

Thanks to respond,
I want to use magnetic as much as it’s going to melt paraffin !
My field is mechanical engineering, in this case I don’t know how to complete this experimental test.

I want to model it for using in radiator of car to increase thermal conductivity

Last edited:
You are working on a PhD in mechanical engineering, so you should be able to find the theoretical basis for melting paraffin with magnetic fields. That includes alternating vs constant field, frequency if alternating, and field strength. From that, the equations for a solenoid are easily found. It's a simple matter of ampere-turns for DC, and ampere-turns plus inductance for AC. If you design an AC solenoid, part of the calculation is the voltage required to drive the peak current. You will need this to select a power supply.

Make sure that paraffin can be melted with magnetic fields before spending much time building an experimental setup to do what (possibly) cannot be done.

Keep in mind that there is more to consider than just thermal conductivity. You might also do some calculations to compare paraffin vs water with 50% antifreeze. Compare:
1) Thermal conductivity (heat transfer coefficients).
2) Viscosity (for pumping).
3) Specific heat and density (thermal capacity) as it affects pumping.
4) Check what happens at the maximum temperature in the engine, which is higher than the temperature seen by the temperature gauge.
5) Consider what happens in cold weather, such as cold soaked at -40 deg C.
6) Calculate thermal expansion over the full temperature range.

Likes Asymptotic
How is a magnetic field going to transfer energy to paraffin? It is a non magnetic material.
Even electric fields penetrate paraffin wax very well and I have used it to make a prism at 10GHz.

Everyone posting to this thread should be warned that the word "paraffin" has different meanings in British English and American English. The Americans use "paraffin" to name a type of candle wax, and use the word "kerosene" for the petroleum-derived flammable liquid that the British call "paraffin".

I suspect that the original poster is using British English while the people talking about melting the stuff are assuming american English.

The OP is talking about melting, so doesn't that mean we should conclude it's the wax-like substance?

Has there been a more fundamental misunderstanding by the OP ?
This appears an immersed heating element, a resistive 'kettle whatsit', rather than a copper coil of inherently very low resistance...

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is magnetization of a helical coil in a reservoir of paraffin?

Magnetization of a helical coil in a reservoir of paraffin refers to the process of creating a magnetic field in a paraffin-filled container by passing an electrical current through a helical coil inside the reservoir. This process is commonly used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to generate the strong magnetic field needed to produce images of the body's internal structures.

2. How does a helical coil magnetize paraffin in a reservoir?

The helical coil is made up of a conductive material, usually copper wire, wound into a spiral shape. When an electrical current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field around the coil. This magnetic field then magnetizes the paraffin molecules in the reservoir, aligning them in the same direction as the magnetic field.

3. What is the purpose of using paraffin in a helical coil magnetization process?

Paraffin is a non-magnetic material that is commonly used in MRI machines because it does not interfere with the magnetic field. It also has a high melting point, making it suitable for use in high-temperature environments such as inside an MRI machine. Additionally, paraffin is non-toxic and non-reactive, making it safe for use in medical applications.

4. How does the magnetization of a helical coil in a paraffin reservoir affect the MRI process?

The magnetization of the paraffin in the reservoir creates a strong and stable magnetic field, which is essential for producing clear and accurate images in MRI. The magnetic field helps to align the protons in the body's tissues, which are then excited by radio waves to produce a signal that is used to create images of the body's internal structures.

5. Are there any risks associated with using a helical coil to magnetize paraffin in an MRI machine?

While the magnetization process itself does not pose any significant risks, there are potential hazards associated with the strong magnetic field generated by the helical coil. Patients with metal implants or devices may experience discomfort or injury if they are exposed to the magnetic field. It is important to follow safety protocols and guidelines when operating an MRI machine to minimize these risks.