Magnetostatics - boundary condition

In summary, the conversation discusses the condition for the magnetostatic vector potential \vec{A} on the boundary of two media with magnetic permeability \mu_1 and \mu_2. It is stated that the tangent component of A should be continuous, but only the normal component is actually continuous according to the boundary condition \vec{A_+} - \vec{A_-}=\mu_0\vec{M}\times\hat{n}. It is also mentioned that the condition on \vec{B} is that \vec{n}( \vec{B}^+ - \vec{B}^-) = 0 and \vec{n} \times (\frac{1}{\mu_1}\
paweld
Let's consider two media with magnetic permeability [tex] \mu_1, \mu_2 [/tex].
What's the condition for magnetostatic vector potential [tex]\vec{A} [/tex]
on the boundary. Is it true that its tangent component should be continuous.
Thanks for replay.

Physics news on Phys.org
The BC across the magnetic interface is

[tex]\vec{A_+} - \vec{A_-}=\mu_0\vec{M}\times\hat{n}[/tex]

so only the normal component of A is continuous. A_tangential is continuous only in the special case when M is normal to the surface.

I don't see your point.
The condition on [tex]\vec{B} [/tex] are the following:
[tex]\vec{n}( \vec{B}^+ - \vec{B}^-) = 0[/tex]
and
[tex]\vec{n} \times (\frac{1}{\mu_1}\vec{B}^+ -\frac{1}{\mu_2} \vec{B}^-) = 0[/tex]
Vector potential satisfies the condition [tex] \nabla \times \vec{A} = \vec{B} [/tex].
I'm exacly asking if the above conditions implies that some components of A are continous.

I don't agree with Marcus. Since curl A is finite, A tangential is continuous.
Since div A is zero, A normal is continuous.

Clem is right, I am wrong. Please disregard my post above.

1. What is a boundary condition in magnetostatics?

A boundary condition in magnetostatics refers to the relationship between the magnetic field and the electric current at the interface between two different materials. It specifies how the magnetic field and its derivatives change across the boundary.

2. Why are boundary conditions important in magnetostatics?

Boundary conditions are important in magnetostatics because they allow us to analyze and understand the behavior of magnetic fields at the interface between different materials. They also help us to determine the distribution of magnetic fields in complex systems.

3. What are the two types of boundary conditions in magnetostatics?

The two types of boundary conditions in magnetostatics are the normal component boundary condition and the tangential component boundary condition. The normal component boundary condition specifies the continuity of the normal component of the magnetic field across the interface, while the tangential component boundary condition specifies the continuity of the tangential component of the magnetic field.

4. How do boundary conditions affect the behavior of magnetic fields?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the behavior of magnetic fields at the interface between different materials. They determine the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field, as well as the distribution of the magnetic field in complex systems.

5. Are boundary conditions the same for all materials?

No, boundary conditions can vary depending on the type of materials and their properties. Different materials have different boundary conditions, which must be taken into account when analyzing the behavior of magnetic fields at their interface.