Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnet's feild strength decrease when it interacts with an object?

1. Aug 22, 2006 #1
    Does a magnet's feild strength decrease when it interactes with an object? Say I had a magnet and It pulled on a metal bar with 1 newton of force then i put another bar by it. would it continue to pull on the first bar with 1 newton of force?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2006 #2

Mk

No, it doesn't.

4. Aug 25, 2006 #3
    Actually I think it affects its magnetic lines so there is probably going to be a slight change. That would be because the second metal bar will effect the "shape" of the magnetic field and not because it's energy is allocated in two metal bars if that is what you had in mind.

5. Aug 25, 2006 #4
    Yes it would by the principle of superposition.

6. Sep 1, 2006 #5
    so which is it?

7. Sep 1, 2006 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the other object has a magnetic field, then yes the strength of the magnetic field will be affected in accordance with the principle of superposition as tavi_boada states. Otherwise, no, the magnetic field strength would be unaffected. Or of course is the object is composed of a magnetic shielding material.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?