Magnitude and Direction of Electric Point Charges

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
StudentA1
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
1. 1: Suppose eight identical point charges q are placed at the corners of a cube with side length L.
Find the magnitude and direction of the electric force produced exerted by these charges on another
charge q at the center of a face of the cube.




Homework Equations





3. So far I've drawn a picture of the situation in 3D, but I'm not sure how to proceed
from there.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
StudentA1 said:
1. 1: Suppose eight identical point charges q are placed at the corners of a cube with side length L.
Find the magnitude and direction of the electric force produced exerted by these charges on another
charge q at the center of a face of the cube.




Homework Equations





3. So far I've drawn a picture of the situation in 3D, but I'm not sure how to proceed
from there.
Can you draw a vector representing the force of one charge on the charge at the centre? (hint: can you apply Coulomb's law to determine the magnitude and direction of the force?). Do that for all 8 charges and add up the vectors.

AM