1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of electric field - Problem check

1. Aug 29, 2006 #1
    Hey everyone. I've been getting tons of help on here and it's paying off. I really appreciate your efforts. Could someone check this problem for me and tell me if I have the right answer?

Book: Cutnell & Johnson Physics
    pp. 571 #66

A small object, which has a charge q = 7.5uC and mass m = 9.0 x 10^-5kg, is placed in a constant electric field. Starting from rest, the object accelerates to a speed of 2.0 x 10^3m/s in a time of 0.96 s. Determine the magnitude of the electric field.

My Answer:

I found the equation for the magnitude of an electric field: E= k|q| / r^2

I wasn't sure how to find r but I noticed I had a and t so I did the following: r = (2.0 x 10^5) x (9.6)^2 / 2 = 1.8 x 10^8

I did that because, in order to find the time you do sqrt{2(distance)/(accel)} correct?

Then I did E = (8.99 x 10^9) x (7.5 x 10^-6) / (1.8 x 10^8)^2 = 2.08 x 10^-12

I figure if I messed up it's probably doing the reverse acceleration equation. Can someone check for me? Thanks! :rofl:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you cannot use this equation here. The E field is uniform which tells you that it is *not* produced by a point charge. It is produced by a large uniformly charged surface or some other charge distribution. The only thing you can use then is F=q E.
    So you must use the information about the motion to find the acceleration, then use F=m a to find the force and then use F=qE to find the magnitude of the E field.

I did that because, in order to find the time you do sqrt{2(distance)/(accel)} correct?
    Yes (if an onbject starts from rest and moves along a straight line) BUT you do not know the acceleration here! Just the final speed!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?