Magnitude of the angular momentum?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 11K views
erik-the-red
Messages
88
Reaction score
1
Question:

A particle with charge 6.40 * 10^(-19) C travels in a circular orbit with radius 4.68 mm due to the force exerted on it by a magnetic field with magnitude 1.65 T and perpendicular to the orbit.

It then asks for the linear and angular momentum.

I got the linear momentum by using an equation I found in the text. But I didn't find any equation for the angular momentum, and that is where I'm stuck at.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start with a definition: http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/AngularMomentum.html" .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
radou, thanks a lot. I was thinking about [tex]L = I\omega[/tex], but I thought that calculating the moment of inertia was probably not the right thing to do in this problem.