Mains transformer with 1.4 ohm primary winding?

In summary, a transformer with a primary winding of 10 henries and a 1.4 ohm resistance will not allow a current of 31.8 mA to flow.
Plat
I don't understand how this is possible.

This is a rather large transformer in a stereo system amplifier. The transformer is a simple step-down with 120V mains primary to a center-tapped secondary providing both 38V and 76V.

According to ohm's law, at 120V this thing should draw about 85 amps, which obviously isn't happening. What could be going on here?

I have measured for myself 120V in and 76V out of the transformer with the equipment running, and confirmed my ohm meter accuracy against an assortment of resistors.

There is also no additional resistance between mains 120V and the primary winding, just a relay.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are measuring a DC resistance of 1.4 ohms for the primary winding.

The gist of it is, a winding is an inductor, and presents an additional form of resistance to AC current flow called impedance. Impedance increases as frequency increases.

Consider just the primary winding on the transformer. It has an iron core and it has many turns of wire on it, so it has inductance.
It has an applied AC voltage with a known frequency, so it has reactance.

Reactance is the AC equivalent of resistance and it can be used in Ohms Law calculations.

You can measure the inductance of the winding, but assume it is 10 henries.
Reactance=2. * pi. * f * L
Pi=3.14159
F= 60 hz
L = 10 henries
So reactance = 2 * 3.14159 * 60 * 10 = 3769 ohms

Strictly, we should include the 1.4 ohms resistance in this, but we won't. Too small to matter.

So on a 120 volt 60 hz supply, the current would be 120/3769 amps or 31.8 mA.

The actual current would be higher than this, because the amplifier will use some power, but you can see that the inductance of the winding stops huge currents flowing.

Asymptotic said:
You are measuring a DC resistance of 1.4 ohms for the primary winding.

The gist of it is, a winding is an inductor, and presents an additional form of resistance to AC current flow called impedance. Impedance increases as frequency increases.
That makes perfect sense but I have measured the primary windings of other mains transformers with the same meter and got reasonable values of around 200 ohms. I wonder why this one is different? Just larger as far as I can tell.

vk6kro said:
Consider just the primary winding on the transformer. It has an iron core and it has many turns of wire on it, so it has inductance.
It has an applied AC voltage with a known frequency, so it has reactance.

Reactance is the AC equivalent of resistance and it can be used in Ohms Law calculations.

You can measure the inductance of the winding, but assume it is 10 henries.
Reactance=2. * pi. * f * L
Pi=3.14159
F= 60 hz
L = 10 henries
So reactance = 2 * 3.14159 * 60 * 10 = 3769 ohms

Strictly, we should include the 1.4 ohms resistance in this, but we won't. Too small to matter.

So on a 120 volt 60 hz supply, the current would be 120/3769 amps or 31.8 mA.

The actual current would be higher than this, because the amplifier will use some power, but you can see that the inductance of the winding stops huge currents flowing.
I had no idea inductance played such a big role here. Thank you for the explanation and I'll be committing that equation to memory.

This knowledgeable plonker covers the subject well...

Plat said:
I wonder why this one is different?
All the others were cheapo low current transformers. Ideal for low power purposes. They may just get a bit warm but who cares?

What is a mains transformer?

A mains transformer is an electrical device that converts high voltage and low current alternating current (AC) power to low voltage and high current AC power or vice versa. It is used to step up or step down the voltage to match the desired level for a specific electrical application.

What is the purpose of a 1.4 ohm primary winding in a mains transformer?

The 1.4 ohm primary winding in a mains transformer is designed to limit the current flow and prevent damage to the transformer and other connected electrical devices. It also helps to regulate the amount of power being transferred between the primary and secondary windings.

What are the key factors to consider when selecting a mains transformer with a 1.4 ohm primary winding?

When selecting a mains transformer with a 1.4 ohm primary winding, it is important to consider the input and output voltage requirements, the power rating, and the frequency of the AC power source. Additionally, the size, weight, and cost of the transformer should also be taken into account.

Can a mains transformer with a 1.4 ohm primary winding be used for both step-up and step-down voltage conversion?

Yes, a mains transformer with a 1.4 ohm primary winding can be used for both step-up and step-down voltage conversion. By adjusting the number of turns on the primary and secondary windings, the transformer can be configured to either increase or decrease the voltage level.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a mains transformer with a 1.4 ohm primary winding?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when using a mains transformer with a 1.4 ohm primary winding. The transformer should be properly grounded and insulated to prevent electric shock. It is also important to avoid overloading the transformer and to regularly check for any signs of damage or malfunction.