Major Flare Today: Sun Kicks Up Biggest Storm in Years

In summary: There is no known relationship between individual solar flares and weather. There is, however, evidence for a relationship between the solar activity cycle and global climate. The best known case is the correlation of a long period of solar inactivity called the Maunder Minimum (1645-1715) with the lowest temperatures recorded during the "Little Ice Age" that occurred from 1500 to 1850. Almost no spots were observed on the Sun during this period. There is evidence for the correlation of other periods of low solar activity with cooler temperatures on Earth as well.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The Sun today unleashed what appears to be the third most powerful flare in recorded history, a storm of charged particles that could hit Earth mid-day Wednesday with more effect than any since 1989, when an entire Canadian province had its power knocked out.

Depending on the storm's magnetic orientation, it could set off a dramatic display of colorful northern lights well into mid-latitudes of the United States and Europe.

http://space.com/scienceastronomy/solar_flare_031028.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
it is interesting...does anyone know what time it hit earth? here on the pacific coast, at 3am i woke up to a huge power surge and then the electricity was out...

It hit last night around 10 PM PST.

Say, I was just curious. How many of you were invited to stay in the US government survival bunker for the elite? It is hoped that we'll be able to rebuild society after the solar disaster wipes out life on the surface. I'm in sector 7-G, look me up.

Njorl

Originally posted by Njorl
Say, I was just curious. How many of you were invited to stay in the US government survival bunker for the elite? It is hoped that we'll be able to rebuild society after the solar disaster wipes out life on the surface. I'm in sector 7-G, look me up.

Njorl

Sorry Njorl, I had to cut life support to that sector. Before you're gone, here's an update.

Major Solar Storm Begins Onslaught of Earth
http://space.com/scienceastronomy/solar_flare_031028.html

Last edited by a moderator:
i remember learning in school MANY years ago that the sun directly affected wind...because of this flare up, will we have windy weather ahead?

http://hesperia.gsfc.nasa.gov/sftheory/questions.htm#weather

There is no known relationship between individual solar flares and weather. There is, however, evidence for a relationship between the solar activity cycle and global climate. The best known case is the correlation of a long period of solar inactivity called the Maunder Minimum (1645-1715) with the lowest temperatures recorded during the "Little Ice Age" that occurred from 1500 to 1850. Almost no spots were observed on the Sun during this period. There is evidence for the correlation of other periods of low solar activity with cooler temperatures on Earth as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
there may be better information on the net, or PF members may
know more, i came across this one.

Great shot of the Northern Lights: USA Today

New, major solar storm slams into the Earth
The geomagnetic storm level is was listed as "severe" and magnetic field of the new cloud is pointing south, which means it could interact much more violently that if the magnetic field is pointing north, the same way as the Earth's, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA) scientists said.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/2003-10-29-new-flare_x.htm

Originally posted by wolram
http://hesperia.gsfc.nasa.gov/sftheory/questions.htm#weather

There is no known relationship between individual solar flares and weather. There is, however, evidence for a relationship between the solar activity cycle and global climate. The best known case is the correlation of a long period of solar inactivity called the Maunder Minimum (1645-1715) with the lowest temperatures recorded during the "Little Ice Age" that occurred from 1500 to 1850. Almost no spots were observed on the Sun during this period. There is evidence for the correlation of other periods of low solar activity with cooler temperatures on Earth as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
there may be better information on the net, or PF members may
know more, i came across this one.

A related story?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3221795.stm

Originally posted by Kerrie
i remember learning in school MANY years ago that the sun directly affected wind...because of this flare up, will we have windy weather ahead?
That is true, but that's got nothing to do with solar flares. Wind is a result of radiative heating of the ground, which naturally occurs on a daily cycle. In the morning, the ground is cool and about the same temperature as the air. And the air is still. By late morning or early afternoon, the ground is heated by the sun to be much warmer than the air. Warm air rises like bubbles in boiling water causing convection currents and wind.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Depending on the storm's magnetic orientation, it could set off a dramatic display of colorful northern lights well into mid-latitudes of the United States and Europe.

We had amazing "northern lights" here in NH on Oct 30. Quite the treat...I had never seen them before.

Originally posted by Phobos
We had amazing "northern lights" here in NH on Oct 30. Quite the treat...I had never seen them before.

Lucky dog! I have looked and looked but no lights on the west coast at the 45th parallel. They were seen up in Washington though.

I once got to see a glimse of them, way off in the distance, and while at 30,000 feet over Colorado. That's it for me. I would love to see a dramatic display...should have gone to Alaska this week.

I would love to see a dramatic display...should have gone to Alaska this week.
Ditto

Originally posted by KL Kam
Ditto

This would be a fairly short trip for me, but this would be no small trip from Hong Kong.

KL, as I understand things, [I saw this on a TV show so who knows?] the japanese believe children concieved under the Aurora are specially blessed. Do the Chinese have any similar beliefs?

This would be a fairly short trip for me, but this would be no small trip from Hong Kong.

KL, as I understand things, [I saw this on a TV show so who knows?] the japanese believe children concieved under the Aurora are specially blessed. Do the Chinese have any similar beliefs?
No, I haven't heard of it. :smile:
I think the next time when the sun turns so active, I won't mind traveling as close to the north pole as possible so as to witnesses a facinating auroras show.

By the way, from the pictures in spaceweather.com, the giant group of sunspots is rotating away from us.

A friend of mine lives in El Paso, TX he said he saw the Northern Lights.

1. What is a major solar flare?

A major solar flare is a sudden burst of energy from the Sun's surface, releasing a tremendous amount of radiation and charged particles into space.

2. How big was the recent major solar flare?

The recent major solar flare was the biggest storm in years, with a classification of X9.3. This means it was almost 10 times stronger than the last major flare, which was classified as X1.6.

3. What causes solar flares?

Solar flares are caused by the sudden release of energy stored in the Sun's magnetic field. When the magnetic field lines become tangled and twisted, they can snap and release energy in the form of a solar flare.

4. What are the potential impacts of a major solar flare?

Major solar flares can disrupt communication and navigation systems, cause power outages, and pose a radiation threat to astronauts and satellites in space. They can also create beautiful auroras in the Earth's atmosphere.

5. How often do major solar flares occur?

Major solar flares are relatively rare events and are unpredictable. They tend to occur more frequently during the peak of the solar cycle, which happens every 11 years. However, the last major solar flare occurred in 2017, which was during a period of low solar activity.