Making a Magnetic Levitation Train

In summary, an inductrack design uses permanent magnets to create a lift. It is difficult to build and requires a flux shunt.
Triangulum
I would like to make a maglev train for a physics project, but I would prefer it to be simple and for the most part easy to make, as I do not have access to too many supplies. Hopefully, you can help me generate a list of possible ideas with brief explanations on how to construct them and how they work.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For simplicity, you might want to try an "inductrac" maglev, which levitates on a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halbach_array" . That way, oyu won't need electromagnets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know any place that sells Halbach Arrays, and they seem difficult to make, correct me if I am wrong.

No, you're quite right. Maybe electromagnets would be easier to biuld.

Triangulum said:
I don't know any place that sells Halbach Arrays, and they seem difficult to make, correct me if I am wrong.

To me, a Halbach Array seems quite simple to make. Simply stick some permanent magnets together in this manner: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halbach_array

Do I necessarily need a Halbach Array to use the Inductrac design??

Yup, you need Halbach arrays; it about doubles the field, and the lift is proportional to the square of the field, so you get 3-4x more lift; and takeoff happens at much lower speeds.

The number of people that have been able to make a working inductrack design is very, very short. The biggest problem seems to be getting the system up to a speed where it actually lifts, ~24 mph is not that low really; although inductrack II is supposed to lift at about 5 mph.

FWIW I've made Halbach arrays. They're not too hard to make provided you have a flat fairly thick sheet of iron or steel to act as a flux shunt while you build it (needs to be about 1/4 the thickness of the magnets) and build them on that, with the flux side down, and then stick them to a backing plate and then slide them off when they set. Provided it's thick enough the iron/steel attracts the magnets very well, and friction holds them in place (more or less), although you'll have to clamp it when you glue it since the intermediate magnets popup.

If you don't do the flux shunt trick, the magnets will fight you oh-so-very-hard.

Last edited:
Guys can yu please help me I made a simple mAglev with magnetic strips but the problem is the vechicle keeps on twist and attracting to the side how do I make it levitate pls help due on monday

1. How does a magnetic levitation train work?

A magnetic levitation train, also known as a maglev train, uses magnetic repulsion and attraction to lift and propel the train above its track, eliminating the need for wheels. Electromagnets on the train's undercarriage interact with magnets on the track, creating a magnetic field that lifts and propels the train forward.

2. What are the benefits of a magnetic levitation train?

Maglev trains can reach high speeds of up to 375 mph, making them faster than traditional trains. They also have lower maintenance costs since there is no physical contact between the train and the track, reducing wear and tear on both. Additionally, maglev trains are more energy-efficient and produce less noise and vibration compared to traditional trains.

3. How is the stability of a magnetic levitation train maintained?

The stability of a maglev train is maintained through a combination of magnetic levitation and the train's own gyroscopic stability. The train's onboard computer constantly monitors and adjusts the magnetic field to keep the train stable and balanced on the track.

4. What materials are used to build a magnetic levitation train?

The most common materials used to build a maglev train are aluminum and steel for the train's body and electromagnets. The track is typically made of concrete or steel beams with magnets embedded in it. Superconducting materials are also used for the track's magnets to reduce energy consumption.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a magnetic levitation train?

One of the main drawbacks of maglev trains is the high cost of construction. The advanced technology and materials used in maglev trains make them more expensive to build compared to traditional trains. Additionally, the lack of existing infrastructure and the need for specialized maintenance and repair can make it challenging to implement maglev trains in certain areas.