How Can You Make Surf Wax Stickier?

• Thread starter GiTS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wax
In summary, after researching materials for surf wax making, including paraffin or soy wax as a waxy base, petroleum jelly for viscosity, and Microcrystalline Wax and vistanex for stickiness, polyvinyl acetate has been identified as a good option for increasing the tackiness. However, if a higher level of stickiness is desired, rubber or silicone polymers could also be used due to their strong adhesive properties and resistance to water and wear.
GiTS
Most surf waxes today are pretty sticky but I want something stickier. I've been researching materials for surf wax making but it's hard to find any information on what super sticky adhesives are made of, like sticky tack or what in gum makes it so sticky. So far I've got parrafin or soy wax as the waxy base, petroleum jelly to make it viscous and pliable on the board and tacky, and Microcrystalline Wax and vistanex for stickyness.
Would polyvinyl acetate be good for stickyness in this situation?
Is there anything stickier?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, polyvinyl acetate can be a good option for increasing the tackiness of your surf wax. It's a type of plastic compound that is often used in adhesives, sealants, and coatings. It's an inexpensive and non-toxic option, so it's a great choice for making surf wax. If you're looking for something even stickier than polyvinyl acetate, you could try using rubber or silicone polymers. These materials are often used to make adhesive products because they have a very high degree of tackiness. They also have excellent water resistance and durability, which makes them a great choice for surf wax.

I understand your desire to create a surf wax that is even stickier than what is currently available on the market. However, it is important to consider the properties and safety of the materials you are using in your wax.

Based on your research, it seems like you have already identified some key components that contribute to stickiness in surf wax, such as paraffin or soy wax, petroleum jelly, and Microcrystalline Wax. These ingredients are commonly used in surf wax and have been shown to provide a good level of stickiness.

In regards to your question about polyvinyl acetate, this material is commonly used as a binding agent in adhesives and can contribute to stickiness. However, it is important to note that polyvinyl acetate is not a natural ingredient and may not be suitable for use in surf wax. Additionally, it may not provide a significant increase in stickiness compared to the ingredients you have already identified.

I would recommend exploring natural alternatives for increasing stickiness, such as using beeswax or tree resin, as these have been traditionally used in surf waxes and may provide a stronger stickiness than synthetic materials.

It is also important to consider the environmental impact of the materials you are using in your surf wax. Some of the ingredients you have listed, such as petroleum jelly, may not be sustainable or biodegradable. I would encourage you to research and consider more eco-friendly options for your surf wax.

In conclusion, while polyvinyl acetate may provide some stickiness in your surf wax, I would recommend exploring natural and environmentally friendly alternatives for a truly effective and sustainable product.

1. How can I make my surf wax stickier?

There are several ways to make your surf wax stickier. One option is to add more ingredients that increase the wax's tackiness, such as pine resin or coconut oil. Another option is to adjust the ratio of hard and soft waxes in your recipe, as softer waxes tend to be stickier. Additionally, making sure your board is clean and free of any old wax residue can also help improve the stickiness of your new wax.

2. What ingredients are commonly used in sticky surf wax?

Some common ingredients in sticky surf wax include paraffin wax, beeswax, pine resin, coconut oil, and fragrance or color additives. Depending on the desired level of stickiness, other ingredients such as microcrystalline wax or gum rosin may also be used.

3. How long does it take for surf wax to become sticky?

The time it takes for surf wax to become sticky can vary depending on the type of wax and environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours for the wax to reach its maximum stickiness. It is best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the specific wax you are using.

4. Can I make my own surf wax at home?

Yes, it is possible to make your own surf wax at home. There are many recipes available online that use common household ingredients. However, keep in mind that creating a high-quality, effective surf wax requires precise measurements and specific ingredients, so it may take some experimentation to find a recipe that works well for you.

5. How do I apply sticky surf wax to my surfboard?

To apply sticky surf wax to your surfboard, start by removing any old wax with a wax comb or scraper. Then, rub the wax in a circular motion over the surface of the board, applying pressure to create small bumps and ridges. For extra stickiness, you can also crosshatch the wax by rubbing it in a criss-cross pattern. Make sure to cover the entire surface of the board and add additional layers as needed. Finally, use a wax comb to create texture and provide even more grip.

Back