Making an inexact differential equation exact

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an integrating factor u for an inexact equation and the attempt at solving it using a formula from a previous example. However, the results were not satisfactory and alternative methods were suggested.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

I have another question. The following equation is inexact. Find an integrating factor u that makes the equation exact.

(-9/6)x4y6+3x8y7+x6)dx+(−1x5y5+(13/21)x9y6)dy=0

Homework Equations

Call the part before dx M, and the part before dy N.

The Attempt at a Solution

We did an example like this in class where to find u we took [(dM/dy)-(dN/dx)] / N. (those are partial derivatives). Then the answer to that was integrated and put to the power of e (e^integrated answer).

I tried doing that but it gave me something weird.

Partial of M with respect to y: -9x4y5 + 21x8y6

Parital of N with respect to x: -5x4y5 + ((21*9)/13)x8y6

Then take the difference between the two and get -4x4y5 -6.46x8y6

And divide that by N. this gives some weird function that I don't think is right because the answers are usually simple. I'm guessing I wasn't supposed to use the same initial formula that the example did, but all the examples seem to use it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The test you are trying is to look for an integrating factor a pure function of x. There is a similar test looking for a pure function of y. You can read about these tests in the thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2375160#post2375160

Neither of these tests seem to work for your problem. Nobody promises that such a DE will have such an integrating factor although many textbook exercises of this type do have them. Sometimes a misprint is to blame when the author intended it to work.

1. What is an inexact differential equation?

An inexact differential equation is a type of differential equation that cannot be solved using traditional methods. This is because the equation does not have a single unique solution, but instead has a family of solutions.

2. Why is it important to make an inexact differential equation exact?

Making an inexact differential equation exact allows us to solve the equation and find a specific solution. This is important because it allows us to make predictions and understand the behavior of systems described by the equation.

3. How can an inexact differential equation be made exact?

An inexact differential equation can be made exact by using an integrating factor. This is a function that is multiplied to both sides of the equation, transforming it into an exact differential equation.

4. Can all inexact differential equations be made exact?

No, not all inexact differential equations can be made exact. Some equations are inherently inexact and cannot be transformed into an exact form. In these cases, other methods may need to be used to solve the equation.

5. What are some applications of inexact differential equations?

Inexact differential equations have many applications in science and engineering, such as modeling physical systems, predicting population dynamics, and understanding chemical reactions. They are also used in economics, biology, and other fields to describe complex systems.