How is mass flow an inexact differential

In summary: The author is trying way too hard to be precise, and it makes the discussion very difficult to follow.
granzer
How is mass flow rate within an annular region of a pipe taken to be an inexact differential?

I read it in Fluid Mechanics textbook by Yunus A. Cengel and John M. Cimbala.
4.PNG

The mass flow rate through the annulus is given to be inexact differential. Why is mass flow through the annulus not equal to
(m2)-(m1)
Given any 2 radius r2 and r1?
Won't the mass flow rate in the annulus be equal to (mass flow through the area with radius r2)-(mass flow through the area with radius r1) ie m2-m1?
Also later it goes on to say that the mass flow rate is exact.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,567
Engineering news on Phys.org
I have no idea why they are making this distinction. Just keep moving on and see if it makes any kind of sense later.

Chestermiller said:
I have no idea why they are making this distinction. Just keep moving on and see if it makes any kind of sense later.
@Chestermiller Yes sir, that's what I have been doing. Heat and work are easy to be understood as inexact. But this particular example is difficult to grasp.

granzer said:
@Chestermiller Yes sir, that's what I have been doing. Heat and work are easy to be understood as inexact. But this particular example is difficult to grasp.
They are trying to say that the three transport quantities heat flux, momentum flux, and mass flux are path-dependent. But, in the case of mass flux, it is usually thought of in terms of diffusion. Heat flux (conductive) is proportional to the temperature gradient, mass flux is proportional to the velocity gradient, and mass flux (diffusion) is proportional to the concentration gradient. This is the analogy they are trying to establish.

Their description here does not work for me either.

I can't stand that text. This is a good example of why.

1. What is mass flow?

Mass flow is the rate at which mass is transferred through a given area per unit time. It is measured in units of mass per unit time, such as kilograms per second or pounds per minute.

2. Why is mass flow considered an inexact differential?

Mass flow is considered an inexact differential because it is dependent on both the mass and velocity of the fluid, and these values can change over time. Therefore, the differential of mass flow is not an exact representation of the change in mass flow.

3. How is mass flow calculated?

Mass flow can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the velocity of the fluid and the cross-sectional area through which it is flowing. This is known as the continuity equation: Mass flow = Density x Velocity x Area.

4. What factors can affect mass flow?

Mass flow can be affected by a variety of factors, including changes in the velocity or density of the fluid, changes in the area through which the fluid is flowing, and the presence of obstacles or restrictions in the flow path.

5. How is mass flow used in scientific research?

Mass flow is an important concept in many fields of scientific research, particularly in fluid mechanics and thermodynamics. It is used to study and understand the movement of fluids, as well as to design and optimize systems that involve fluid flow, such as pumps, turbines, and heat exchangers.