QFT: Mandl & Shaw, Page 297 - An Extra Minus Sign

• Thread starter Vic Sandler
  • Start date
In summary, the author has written an equation in which the Rhs has a minus sign, but the book states that the author intended for the eqn to stand as it is. The author gets:F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu} = (\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu} - \partial_{\mu}A_{\nu})(\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu} - \partial^{\mu}A^{\nu})= \partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu} - \partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu} - \
Vic Sandler
In the second edition of QFT by Mandl & Shaw, for the unnumbered eqn below eqn (13.120c) on page 297, I get a factor of -1 on the rhs that the book doesn't have. However, in the next two equations, it is clear that the author intends for the eqn to stand as it is. I get:

[tex]F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu} = (\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu} - \partial_{\mu}A_{\nu})(\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu} - \partial^{\mu}A^{\nu})[/tex]
[tex]= \partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu} - \partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu} - \partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}A^{\nu} + \partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}\partial^{\mu}A^{\nu}[/tex]
[tex] = (\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu})(\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu}) + A_{\mu}\Box A^{\mu} - (\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu})(\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu}) - A_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu}
- (\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu})(\partial^{\mu}A^{\nu}) - A_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}\partial^{\mu}A^{\nu} + (\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu})(\partial^{\mu}A^{\nu}) + A_{\nu}\Box A^{\nu}[/tex]
[tex] = 2A_{\mu}\Box A^{\mu} - 2A^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}A^{\nu} + 2(\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu})F^{\mu\nu}[/tex][tex]\int d^4 x(\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu})F^{\mu\nu} = -\int d^4 x A_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\mu\nu} = 0[/tex]

using eqn (5.2) on page 74 and s = 0. So I get an extra minus sign on the rhs.

[tex]-\frac{1}{4}\int d^4x F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu} = -\frac{1}{2} \int d^4 x A^{\mu}[g_{\mu\nu}\Box - \partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}]A^{\nu}[/tex]

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You started off wrongly

∂νAμ∂νAμ−∂μAν∂νAμ−∂νAμ∂μAν+∂μAν∂μAν = 4div - Aμ □Aμ - 4div + Aν∂μ∂νAμ - 4div + Aμ∂ν∂μAν +4div - Aν□Aν = 4div + 2 Aμgμν□Aν - 2 Aμ∂μ∂νAν

Likes 1 person
Thanks dextercioby. I am not familiar with the div. How is it defined?

Vic Sandler said:
[tex]F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu} = (\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu} - \partial_{\mu}A_{\nu})(\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu} - \partial^{\mu}A^{\nu})[/tex]
[tex]= \partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu} - \partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu} - \partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}A^{\nu} + \partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}\partial^{\mu}A^{\nu}[/tex]
I can't follow what you do after this.

But by swapping the dummy indices μ and ν, we see that the 4th term above is the same as the 1st, and the 2nd term is the same as the 3rd, and so
[tex]= 2\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu} - 2\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}A^{\nu}[/tex]
Now use integration by parts to move the derivatives off the first A in each term:
[tex]= -2A_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu} + 2A_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}\partial^{\mu}A^{\nu}[/tex]
In the second term, swap which μ is up and which is down, and commute the derivatives to get
[tex]= -2A_{\mu}\Box A^{\mu} + 2A^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}A^{\nu}[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Thanks Avodyne, your solution is simpler for me. I'd still like to know what div in dextercioby's post stands for though.

Wait a minute, are you sure you can do that? I thought

[tex]\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu}[/tex]

in the second line of my equation in the OP meant

[tex]\partial_{\nu}(A_{\mu}\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu})[/tex]

not

[tex](\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu})(\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu})[/tex]

[tex]\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu}
=(\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu})(\partial^\nu A_\mu)[/tex]
since it comes from the product of the two F's, which have the derivatives acting on their own A's only.

In general, when you have an expression like this, the standard convention is that the derivative acts only on the object to the immediate right, and not on everything to the right.

Likes 1 person
A 4-divergence of a tensor of rank 2 is [itex] \partial_{\mu} T^{\mu\nu} [/itex] (for flat space-time). From rank 2 you can define it for any rank with the same pattern.

Likes 1 person
Thanks to Avodyne and dextercioby for your help.

1. What is the extra minus sign in QFT and why is it important?

The extra minus sign in QFT, also known as the Feynman minus sign, arises from the use of anti-commuting operators in the formalism of quantum field theory. It is important because it accounts for the correct sign of amplitudes in scattering processes, which is necessary for the predictions of the theory to match with experimental results.

2. Where does the extra minus sign appear in the Mandl & Shaw textbook?

The extra minus sign appears on page 297 of the Mandl & Shaw textbook in the section on propagators, specifically in the expression for the Feynman propagator for a scalar field in the Feynman gauge.

3. How does the extra minus sign affect calculations in QFT?

The extra minus sign must be carefully taken into account in calculations in QFT, as it can change the sign of amplitudes and alter the final result of a calculation. Failure to include the extra minus sign can lead to incorrect predictions and discrepancies with experimental data.

4. Are there any exceptions to the inclusion of the extra minus sign in QFT calculations?

Yes, there are certain cases where the extra minus sign is not needed, such as when calculating vacuum expectation values or in the path integral formalism. However, in most cases, it is crucial to include the extra minus sign for accurate results.

5. How does the extra minus sign relate to the fundamental principles of QFT?

The extra minus sign is a consequence of the anti-commutation relations of quantum field operators, which are a fundamental aspect of QFT. It is also closely related to the concept of anti-particles, as the extra minus sign appears in expressions for the creation and annihilation of anti-particles.