1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maping from R2 to R3 torus, finding max min and saddle points

1. Apr 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    this is from ch9 (functions of several variables)of baby rudin

a,b real b>a>0 define a mapping f=(f1,f2),f3) of R2 into R3 by
    f1(s,t)=(b+acos(s))cos(t)
    f2(s,t)=(b+acos(s))sin(t)
    f2(s,t)=asin(s)
    I showed that there are exactly 4 points p in K=image(f) such that

gradf1(f-1(p))=0

I am having trouble finding which of these points are local min, max, and saddle points.

3. The attempt at a solution

The points in question correspond to the touple (s,t) when s=(pi)k and t=(pi)j k,j integers.

the points being +/-b +/-a

Okay great, I do not have any developed criteria for the second derivative test, I have no Hessin matrix to work with. I can develop that in my problem, but that seems rather complicated, I have been trying for a while now, and am having trouble.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2009 #2
    after applying the second derivative test to each component of f I find that at each point of the second derivative of f2 and f3 that the value is zero. So I have zeros at all point of the partial derivatives which is bad because I should have 2 saddle points 1 max and one min. Even more confusing is that in f1 I get two min and two max, no saddle points...
    Any ideas

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook