1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marginal/Conditional Probability Mass Functions

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bag contains four dice labelled 1,...,4. The die labelled j has j white faces and (6-j) black faces, j = 1,...,4. A die is chosen at random from the bag and rolled. We define X = the number labelling the chosen die.
    Y = {0 if the face showing on the die is black; 1 if the face showing on the die is white.

Construct a table displaying the values of the marginal pmf (probability mass function) for X and a separate table displaying the values of the conditional pmf for Y fiven X=x for general x.

2. Relevant equations
    Marginal pmf for X is Px(x) = P(X=x) = [tex]\sum[/tex] P(x,y)
    Conditional pmf for Y given X=x is PY/X(y,x) = P(x,y)/Px(x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay so i know the two equations above for the two pmf's. I'm presuming that for the first part (marginal pmf) that you just use x=1,2,3,4 and that Px(x) is 1/4 for each value of x?
    For the second table I'm not so sure as I don't know which y values to put into my table, and how to work out any probabilities as it has to be for a general x and not a given value of x. As at the beginning of the question it states that y=0 or y=1 is it just these two values that i put into my table n then depending on when x=1,...,4 will alter the probability
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?