1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marion and Thornton Dynamics Problems

1. Jun 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    PROBLEM 7-10

Two blocks, each of mass M, are connected by an extensionless, uniform string of length l. One block is placed on a smooth horizontal surface, and the other block hangs over the side, the string passing over a frictionless pulley. Describe the motion of the system when the string has a mass m.

2. Relevant equations
    L = T -U

3. The attempt at a solution
    NOT HOMEWORK I AM SELF LEARNING
    I did solve this question but I have a sign ambiguity in U
    U= -Mgy- ∫ (m/l)dy*g*y
    in the solutions second term in Lagrangian is negative
    mine positive
    where did I go wrong isit because U = -W and my integral represents work (∫ F.dx) so I have to flip sign of U
    just want to make sure
    THanks

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello again
    Note that y upward is positive. So y itself is negative. If they wrote ##U = Mgy - {m\over l}yg{y\over 2} \ ## it might be a bit clearer.
    In your case it might have to do with the integration boundaries ?

4. Jun 4, 2017 #3
    The integrals are not needed. Express the potential energy in terms of center of mass's height

5. Jun 4, 2017 #4
    They did write it the way you said
    is the 1/2 factor because the center of mass of the y piece below is at y/2
    ok let's define y>0, U = -Mgy+(m/l)*(y)*g*(-y/2) correct?
    how about my way-I wanted to integrate F to get U (I am in the habit of calculating things from scratch-to an extent-without memorizing)
    my bounds are 0 to y as that dy piece of the rope descended y below x-axis no?

6. Jun 4, 2017 #5
    Helloooo to you as well
    and thanks so much for your help

7. Jun 4, 2017 #6
    CORRECTION:
    They did write it the way you said
    is the 1/2 factor because the center of mass of the y piece below is at y/2
    ok let's define y>0, U = -Mgy+(m/l)*(y)*g*(-y/2) correct?
    how about my way-I wanted to integrate F to get U (I am in the habit of calculating things from scratch-to an extent-without memorizing)
    my bounds are 0 to -y as that dy piece of the rope descended y BELOW x-axis no?

8. Jun 5, 2017 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes.

Yes.

I wouldn't do it that way. Say you define the positive direction to be downward. The top of the string would be at y=0 and the bottom at y=L, where L>0 is the length of the string hanging down. The mass of an infinitesimal piece of the string would be ##dm = (m/l)dy##. If you integrate from y=0 to y=L, then dy>0 and dm>0, which is what you want for a mass. The potential energy of that piece of the string is ##dU = dm\,g (-y)##. The negative sign comes in because you need the potential energy to decrease as y increases. Put it all together and you get
    $$U = \int_0^L (-y) g \left(\frac m l \right) dy $$
    If you choose the other sign convention so that you integrate from y=0 to y=-L, then dy<0 so you want dm = -(m/l)dy so that dm>0. You no longer need the other minus sign though because the potential energy decreases when y decreases with this sign convention. So you get
    $$U = \int_0^{-L} y g \left[-\left(\frac m l \right) dy\right].$$ Note if you change variables from ##y \to u=-y## in this second integral, you get the first integral.

9. Jun 5, 2017 #8
    Amazing great understood thanks so much every time I get a clear cut explanation like this here I know my physics is improving tremendously!
    What do you think of this book I am learning mechanics from? good? the problems are tough I like them they enforce understanding!

10. Jun 5, 2017 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From what I've seen it's a good book !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted