How can homework threads be marked as solved?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the new "mark as solved" feature is a great way for students and homework helpers to more easily find and focus on threads that still need attention.
Working here too. Cheers Greg.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like a lot of threads (for homework) still get posted in the 'non'- 'homework help' areas---maybe those "sticky's" "titles" in each division that tell people NOT to post them in those areas could be in BOLD as to make them stand out more--(for those whose impatience for an answer need a 'brighter signpost').

rewebster said:
It seems like a lot of threads (for homework) still get posted in the 'non'- 'homework help' areas---maybe those "sticky's" "titles" in each division that tell people NOT to post them in those areas could be in BOLD as to make them stand out more--(for those whose impatience for an answer need a 'brighter signpost').

I don't think that would make any difference, since there is always a significant proportion of new users that don't bother reading the rules or looking at stickies before they post.

but that could still help some---there could be other things to help-

--maybe having a 'small note' about homework and where the questions should go above the 'typing area' for all those with fewer than 'ten' posts?-----include it in the 'email confirmation' as a aside reminder?

rewebster said:
but that could still help some---there could be other things to help-

--maybe having a 'small note' about homework and where the questions should go above the 'typing area' for all those with fewer than 'ten' posts?-----include it in the 'email confirmation' as a aside reminder?

Yeah I was thinking something like that. I don't know if it would be possible to set it up so those who are posting for the first time get an extra warning messsage. Would certainly save the mods some time moving threads.

My option to mark threads solved seems to have disappeared...

NeoDevin said:
My option to mark threads solved seems to have disappeared...
where you are the OP?

That's the thread alright
The option to mark it solved is supposed to be under 'Thread Tools' right?

Yes it is. The Mentors and HH's see it apparently.

I thought it was fixed all around.

I thought it was fixed too, I used to have it, but it seems when it was fixed for everyone else, it broke for the thread starter...

It only appears in the prime skin as far as I can tell. If you're using nexus it might not appear. Perhaps that is the problem?

Nope, I only ever use prime

I just realized that the 'solved' tool is available to threads outside the homework forums too! Now I've got a nearly unstoppable urge to mark all kinds of threads as 'solved', particularly in S&D.

Gokul43201 said:
I just realized that the 'solved' tool is available to threads outside the homework forums too! Now I've got a nearly unstoppable urge to mark all kinds of threads as 'solved', particularly in S&D.

:rofl:

I hadn't noticed. As long as it doesn't lock the threads, like it did originally, at least it's harmless, although potentially annoying, should someone decide to do that.

I don't know what's wrong, but I'm still not able to mark my threads as solved.

That is very strage. I wonder if other OP's are having that problem.

P.S. I marked the Green function trhead solved for you in case you were wondering.

Thanks, not that I got much help with the problem, heh.

Can any other thread starters who aren't staff, HH or SA confirm that they can't mark their threads as solved?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Can any other thread starters who aren't staff, HH or SA confirm that they can't mark their threads as solved?

I can't. It's been a couple of weeks since I've tried though.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I started this one, but when I click on Thread Tools, I don't get an option to mark it solved.
Most astute question
It makes no difference prime or nexus.

Last edited:
It does! :smile:

Works in prime, not nexus.

jimmysnyder said:
Works in prime, not nexus.

I don't think the nexus skin is supported anymore.

cristo said:
I don't think the nexus skin is supported anymore.
Then it works.

Works for me too, thanks Greg!