Mass and weight differences on earth

In summary, this person is trying to figure out how mass and weight change when an object is dropped from the surface of the Earth to the center of the Earth. The mass won't change, but the weight will decrease as the object falls toward the center of the Earth.
mmfoley
Hello,

How do the mass and weight of an object at the Earth's center compare with their values at the Earth's surface? My textbook is pretty terrible for the non-physics major. I think they answer this question in eqations rather than plain English, so I'm having a hard time with this. Basically, I'm trying to figure out if I dug a hole down to the center of the Earth and dropped a rock down the hole, how would its mass and weight change from the surface of the Earth to the center of the earth.

Thanks!

mmfoley

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass will remain constant but as the rock fell toward the center of the earth, it's weight would decrease. At the center of the earth, the rock would be weightless. The net gravitational force would be zero since the Earth's mass is surrounding the rock. The gravitational force of the Earth on one side of the rock will cancel out the force on the other side.

note: actually the rock would be weightless at the gravitational center of the Earth which doesn't exactly coincide with its geometrical center due to irregularities in the density of the earth. It's probably pretty close so for a simplified case it's OK to assume that the geometrical and gravitational centers are the same.

Last edited:
Originally posted by mmfoley
... I'm trying to figure out if I dug a hole down to the center of the Earth and dropped a rock down the hole, how would its mass and weight change from the surface of the Earth to the center of the earth.
The mass won't change (excluding inconsistent relativistic termonology). Weight is defined as the force of gravity exerted on an object at rest (more or less). Approximating the Earth as a perfect solid sphere, the wieght would decrease linearly with depth until it reached zero at the center (At the center of the earth, there is no pull of gravity in this model. The weight would be directly proportional to the distance from the center).

The significance of the mass not changing is that the object would remain just as difficult to push, even though its weigth would decrease.

thank you

thank you both!

1. What is the difference between mass and weight on Earth?

Mass is the measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. On Earth, an object's mass remains constant regardless of its location, but its weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational pull.

2. Why do objects have different weights on Earth?

The weight of an object on Earth is determined by the strength of the gravitational force acting on it. This force is influenced by the mass of the Earth and the distance between the object and the center of the Earth. Therefore, objects at different locations on Earth will have different weights due to variations in gravity.

3. Can an object have more mass than weight on Earth?

Yes, an object can have more mass than weight on Earth. This can occur in situations where the gravitational pull is weakened, such as at high altitudes or in space. In these cases, the object's mass remains the same, but its weight decreases due to the weaker gravitational force.

4. How is the weight of an object affected by Earth's rotation?

The weight of an object is not affected by Earth's rotation. The weight of an object is determined by the strength of the gravitational force acting on it, which is not affected by the Earth's rotation. However, the object's perceived weight may change due to the centrifugal force caused by the Earth's rotation.

5. Is there a difference between the mass and weight of an object on different planets?

Yes, there is a difference between the mass and weight of an object on different planets. Mass is a constant property of an object and does not change with location, but weight is dependent on the strength of the gravitational force, which varies from planet to planet. Therefore, an object's weight will be different on different planets, but its mass will remain the same.