Mass flow rate as a function of time

In summary: The differential equation which governs h(t) is dH/dt=-(density)*[sqrt(g*(H-(g*d^4*t^2/D^4)]*(pi/4)*d^2). I solved for h(t) by integrating the conservation of mass formula.
oggillia
Homework Statement
A barrel of height H and base diameter D is initially filled with water at STP
(density=1000kg/m3). At the base there exist two circular openings of diameter d and 2d, both of which are initially stoppered.

Subsequently, the small opening of diameter d is unplugged, and the water is allowed to
drain. We can assume that the kinetic energy of the flowing water from the hole is approximately
equal to the potential energy of the column of water directly above it, i.e. ½mve
2= mgh(t) where h(t) is the height of water and it is of course a function of time since it decreases as the tank is draining. You may assume that the flow at the hole is normal and 1-dimensional. Develop expressions for the height of the water, h(t) and the mass-flow rate at the hole,
and mass flow rate as a function of time and given dimensions, i.e., H, D and d.
Relevant Equations
We know mass flow rate= density*velocity*Area since the flow is 1-D and normal.
Mass flow rate at exit= -(denisty)*(sqrt(2gh))*(pi/4)*(d^2)
The velocity at the exit is practically given to us in the problem (½mve 2= mgh(t)). Solve for v.
I integrated the conservation of mass formula to find h(t).
h(t) = H - [(d^4/D^4)*gt^2]/2

The only problem I'm having, is finding the mass flow rate as a function of time, m-dot(t).
At first, I inputted h(t), of which I solved for, into the mass flow rate formula.
So it looked something like this, m-dot(t) = -(density)*[sqrt(g*(H-(g*d^4*t^2/D^4)]*(pi/4)*d^2

But I don't think that's right? Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
oggillia said:
Homework Statement:: A barrel of height H and base diameter D is initially filled with water at STP
(density=1000kg/m3). At the base there exist two circular openings of diameter d and 2d, both of which are initially stoppered.

Subsequently, the small opening of diameter d is unplugged, and the water is allowed to
drain. We can assume that the kinetic energy of the flowing water from the hole is approximately
equal to the potential energy of the column of water directly above it, i.e. ½mve
2= mgh(t) where h(t) is the height of water and it is of course a function of time since it decreases as the tank is draining. You may assume that the flow at the hole is normal and 1-dimensional. Develop expressions for the height of the water, h(t) and the mass-flow rate at the hole,
and mass flow rate as a function of time and given dimensions, i.e., H, D and d.
Relevant Equations:: We know mass flow rate= density*velocity*Area since the flow is 1-D and normal.
Mass flow rate at exit= -(denisty)*(sqrt(2gh))*(pi/4)*(d^2)
The velocity at the exit is practically given to us in the problem (½mve 2= mgh(t)). Solve for v.
I integrated the conservation of mass formula to find h(t).
The only problem I'm having, is finding the mass flow rate as a function of time, m-dot(t).

At first, I inputted h(t), of which I solved for, into the mass flow rate formula.
So it looked something like this, m-dot(t) = -(density)*[sqrt(g*(H-(g*d^4*t^2/D^4)]*(pi/4)*d^2

But I don't think that's right? Any thoughts?
I agree that [tex]
\dot M = - \tfrac{1}4\pi \rho d^2 \sqrt{2gh}.[/tex] I don't agree with your expression for [itex]\sqrt{2gh(t)}[/itex], but since you haven't explained how you arrived at it in sufficient detail I don't know where you went wrong.

What is the differential equation which governs [itex]h(t)[/itex]? How did you solve it?

Here's how I solved h(t).
thermoh(t).jpg

1. What is mass flow rate as a function of time?

Mass flow rate as a function of time is a measure of the amount of mass that flows through a given point in a specified period of time. It is typically expressed in units of mass per unit time, such as kilograms per second or pounds per hour.

2. How is mass flow rate as a function of time calculated?

The mass flow rate as a function of time can be calculated by dividing the total mass of a substance that flows through a given point by the time it takes for the substance to flow through that point. This can be represented by the equation: mass flow rate = total mass / time.

3. What factors affect mass flow rate as a function of time?

The mass flow rate as a function of time can be affected by various factors such as the velocity of the substance, the density of the substance, the cross-sectional area of the flow, and any obstructions or restrictions in the flow path.

4. How is mass flow rate as a function of time used in scientific research?

Mass flow rate as a function of time is a crucial measurement in many scientific studies, particularly in areas such as fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, and chemical engineering. It is used to understand and analyze the movement of substances through different systems and processes.

5. Can mass flow rate as a function of time be controlled or manipulated?

In some cases, mass flow rate as a function of time can be controlled or manipulated by adjusting the variables that affect it, such as the velocity or density of the substance. However, in many natural or complex systems, it may be difficult or impossible to control the mass flow rate as it is influenced by numerous factors and interactions.