Mass of field for small fluctuations

In summary: MacLeod, a physicist, says "In summary, the mass of a field in classical field theory is determined by its behaviour for small values of the field \phi. This means that the quadric term can be neglected. To determine the mass, one can do a Taylor expansion with functional derivatives around \phi=0, but the end result will be the same. More complicated answers can be given, but this is a reasonable definition in the context of classical field theory. One should ensure that the solutions in the approximative theory do not grow to become large."
h0dgey84bc
Hi,

If I have a Lagrangian that looks like [tex] L=-\frac{1}{2} \partial^a{\phi}\partial_a{\phi}-\frac{1}{2} \mu \phi^2 -\frac{1}{24}\lambda \phi^4 [/tex].
Where [tex]\lambda>0 [/tex]

Then how do I figure out the mass for small fluctuations about [tex] \phi=0 [/tex] ?

I don't think I really understand what it means for some parameter to represent the mass. I mean without the phi^4 term, it would just lead to KG equation and obviously there [tex] \mu [/tex] represents the mass when you find the dispersion relation.
Should I just therefore find the equations of motion, then plug in some superposition type solution to find out the dispersion relation, and thus find a term that I would normally call the mass in a relation of the form [tex] E^2=P^2+m^2 [/tex]? or is there something else to this?

I'm not really sure how to incorporate the phi=0 expansion into this, I was originally thinking just Taylor expand but then I would have expanded about [tex] \phi(0,\vec(0)) [/tex], as oppose to the trivial [tex] \phi=0 [/tex] solution.

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
I will only comment in the context of classical field theory, because I think it is not necessary to mention detailed aspects of QFT.

I think you already have the correct idea. The mass of the field is determined by its behaviour for small values of the field \phi. This means that you can simply neglect the quadric term.

If you want to actually do a Taylor expansion, you can construct the action integral and do a Taylor expansion with functional derivatives around \phi=0, but the end result will be the same.

Lots of more complicated answers can be given, involving quantization, representation theory of the Lorentz-group, mass renormalization with bare masses and dressed masses, singularities of propagators, and so on. But I believe what I mentioned above is a pretty reasonable definition in the context of classical field theory. If you are interested in more detailed aspects, consult Weinbergs first QFT book.

One thing to watch out for with this kind of approximation. After you have assumed that \phi is small, you have to make sure that the solutions in the approximative theory don't grow to become large... That would be inconsistent. But in this case, your approximation of small \phi leads to a linear equation of motion, so all is well!

Torquil

Last edited:
!

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The mass term in a Lagrangian represents the energy required to excite a field, and is related to the strength of the interaction between the field and its corresponding particle. In this case, the mass term \mu \phi^2 is responsible for the self-interaction of the field \phi. The larger the value of \mu, the stronger the self-interaction and thus the larger the mass.

To find the mass for small fluctuations about \phi=0, you can first expand the Lagrangian using a Taylor series. This will give you an expression for the potential energy V(\phi) as a function of \phi. The mass term can then be found by taking the second derivative of V(\phi) at \phi=0.

Alternatively, you can find the equations of motion for the field \phi and then use a superposition of solutions to find the dispersion relation. This will give you a term that can be interpreted as the mass in the relation E^2=P^2+m^2. The advantage of this method is that it allows you to take into account the effects of all terms in the Lagrangian, including the \phi^4 term.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of mass in this context. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work in your research!

Related to Mass of field for small fluctuations

What is the "mass of field" for small fluctuations?

The "mass of field" for small fluctuations is a concept used in physics to describe the behavior of particles in a fluctuating field. It represents the strength of the interaction between the particles and the field.

How is the mass of field calculated?

The mass of field is typically calculated using mathematical models and equations that take into account the properties of the particles and the characteristics of the field. It can also be experimentally measured using specialized equipment and techniques.

What factors can affect the mass of field for small fluctuations?

The mass of field can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the strength and type of the field, the properties of the particles, and the distance between the particles and the field. Other external factors, such as temperature and pressure, can also play a role in determining the mass of field.

Why is the concept of mass of field important in scientific research?

The concept of mass of field is important in scientific research because it helps us understand the behavior of particles in fluctuating fields, which is crucial in fields such as quantum mechanics and particle physics. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations about the effects of these fluctuations on various systems and processes.

Are there any real-world applications of the mass of field for small fluctuations?

Yes, the concept of mass of field has many real-world applications, such as in the development of new technologies and materials, and in understanding and predicting natural phenomena. It is also used in various fields of engineering, such as in the design of electronic devices and materials for energy storage and transmission.