Mass-spring system: Steady state solution

In summary, a mass-spring system is a physical system consisting of a mass connected to a spring that can move in response to external forces. The steady state solution of this system is the equilibrium position, which is achieved when the forces acting on the mass are balanced. This can be calculated using Hooke's Law, and factors such as mass, spring constant, and external forces can affect the equilibrium position. The steady state solution is commonly used in real-world applications, such as shock absorbers, mattresses, and pendulums, to optimize and design these systems for specific purposes.
yaro99

Homework Statement

Find the steady-state motion of the mass–spring system modeled by the ODE:
4y''+12y'+9y=225-75sin(3t)

Homework Equations

for a diff eq modeled as: my''+cy'+ky=F0cos(ωt),
yp=acos(ωt)+bsin(ωt)

a=F0*(m(ω022))/(m2*(ω022)22c2)

b=F0*(ωc)/(m2*(ω022)22c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure how to solve this since the equation given is not in the correct form (the right side is not in the form F0cos(ωt)).

Just to attempt the problem, I ignored the 225 and pretended that the right side was -75cos(3t)

m=4, c=12, k=9, F0=-75, ω=3, ω0=3/2

plugging in these values for a and b:
a=1, b=-4/3

which would make the (incorrect) solution: yp=cos(3t)-(4/3)sin(3t)

The book's answer is: yp=25+(4/3)cos(3t)+sin(3t)

Is there another formula I should be using? The book has several other formulae listed for the chapter but doesn't explain them very well...

Physics news on Phys.org
yaro99 said:

Homework Statement

Find the steady-state motion of the mass–spring system modeled by the ODE:
4y''+12y'+9y=225-75sin(3t)

The steady-state motion can be obtained by solving for homogenous solution of the ODE.
Screen_Hunter_02_Oct_16_11_41.jpg

Since the initial condition is not provided, you have C1 and C2 as constant in the solution.

My last post was wrong as I mistook it as natural response of the system.

Well, in your case, you cannot ignore the "225" as it definitely will have effect on your spring system.

Basically, you should choose your yp as acos(ωt)+bsin(ωt) + c where c is the constant to take into account the 225

imiuru said:
My last post was wrong as I mistook it as natural response of the system.

Well, in your case, you cannot ignore the "225" as it definitely will have effect on your spring system.

Basically, you should choose your yp as acos(ωt)+bsin(ωt) + c where c is the constant to take into account the 225

If I try this method and solve by taking yp' and yp'' and plugging into the original equation, I am left with 3 unknowns and only 2 equations when I equate like terms.
Maybe I am equating the terms wrong. I had all the sin(3t) terms equal to -75, and all the other terms equal to 225.
I also tried making the sin(3t) equal to -75, the cos(3t) terms equal to 0, and the c term (which turned out to be 9c) equal to 225. I thought this to be the correct method; I got the correct value for c but not for the sin(3t) and cos(3t) terms.

Am I supposed to keep the a and b values I got in my original post and use those? If so, I still have the wrong sign for b, -4/3; the answer shows b to be +4/3.

By equating all the coefficients of sin(3t) terms to -75, cos(3t) terms to 0, 9c to 225, you will be okay.

The answer provided is obviously wrong. There should be the minus sign.

imiuru said:
By equating all the coefficients of sin(3t) terms to -75, cos(3t) terms to 0, 9c to 225, you will be okay.

The answer provided is obviously wrong. There should be the minus sign.

Well, plugging it into Wolfram Alpha yields the book's answer, with the plus sign: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=4y''+12y'+9y=225-75sin(3t)

EDIT: I solved for yp again from scratch, without using my original values for a and b, and I did indeed get the correct answer, including the +4/3.
But I'm still not sure why the original equations I had for a and b gave me the wrong sign. Maybe it only applies if r(t)=F0cos(ωt) and no other constants or variables?

Last edited:
Yeah. The answer should have +4/3.

Since there is no c in your original equations, you are now solving different set of equations, aren't you? If so, it's natural that you got something that's different from the correct answer, in this case wrong sign.

Last edited:

1. What is a mass-spring system?

A mass-spring system is a physical system that consists of a mass (or multiple masses) connected to a spring. The mass and spring are able to move in response to external forces, such as gravity or applied forces.

2. What is the steady state solution of a mass-spring system?

The steady state solution of a mass-spring system is the equilibrium position, or the point at which the mass remains at rest and the spring is neither stretched nor compressed. This state is achieved when the forces acting on the mass are balanced.

3. How is the steady state solution calculated for a mass-spring system?

The steady state solution can be calculated using the equation F = -kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. This equation represents Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position.

4. What factors affect the steady state solution of a mass-spring system?

The factors that affect the steady state solution include the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring (determined by the spring constant), and any external forces acting on the system. Changes in any of these factors can alter the equilibrium position of the system.

5. How is the steady state solution of a mass-spring system used in real-world applications?

The steady state solution of a mass-spring system is used in various real-world applications, such as shock absorbers in vehicles, springs in mattresses, and pendulums in clocks. Understanding the equilibrium position of a mass-spring system allows engineers to design and optimize these systems for specific purposes.