Masses Over a Uniform Cylindrical Pulley

In summary, the conversation discusses using energy considerations to solve an exercise involving a uniform cylinder, masses A and B, a pulley, and gravity. The moment of inertia for the cylinder is calculated, as well as the forces due to gravity on each mass. The gravitational potential energy of mass B is also calculated, and the concept of torque is brought up. The conversation ends with the suggestion to consider all of the energies involved and the influence of the calculated moment of inertia.
Cdh0127
ηϖ1. Homework Statement
EmvCBrU.jpg

Homework Equations

I=½MR2
PE=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing that jumped out at me was "uniform cylinder" so I went ahead and calculated the moment of inertia for the cylinder and got I=½(4.4)(.4)2 = .352 and held onto that.

Then, I calculated the forces due to gravity of each mass that is pulling down on the string.
Fmb = 48kg×9.8m/s2 = 470.4N
I'm not sure if I do the same for ma because it's resting on the table, so is there a force pulling on the string creating tension?

But the next thing I did was find the gravitational potential energy of mb:
PE = mgh = 48kg×9.8m/s2×2.5m = 1176 J.

I'm not sure if torque is needed, but I went ahead and calculated it anyways:

T=F×r = 470.4N×.4m = 188.16

And that is all I can think to do. I'm not sure how the radius, inertia, mass, and other properties of the pulley affect the masses A and B that move up and down via the string over that pulley.

Could I take the 1176 J of potential energy and set it equal to ½mv2? But what mass would I use? Mass of the system (A + B)? Solve for V? That seems too simple for this section, because we are learning about angular kinematics, torque...etc. I think I'm missing something.

Thank you for your time and advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

The hint in the exercise is pretty clear: use energy considerations. So list off all the energies (my clue: there's more than you mentioned so far, but you are thinking in the right direction) at t=0 at at t = bump.

Extra tip: does the ##\bf I## you calculated have any influence ? (Imagine a huge R0 to decide)

1. What is a uniform cylindrical pulley?

A uniform cylindrical pulley is a type of simple machine that consists of a cylinder with a smooth, circular surface and a hole through the center. It is often used to redirect the direction of a rope or belt in various mechanical systems.

2. How does a uniform cylindrical pulley affect the mass of an object?

A uniform cylindrical pulley does not affect the mass of an object. It only changes the direction of the force applied to the object, not the mass itself. The mass of an object remains the same regardless of its position on the pulley.

3. How does the mass of the pulley itself impact the overall mass of the system?

The mass of the pulley itself does not impact the overall mass of the system. The pulley's mass is typically negligible compared to the mass of the object being lifted or moved. However, the pulley's mass can affect the amount of friction and the efficiency of the system.

4. What is the relationship between the masses on either side of a uniform cylindrical pulley?

The masses on either side of a uniform cylindrical pulley are directly proportional. This means that if one side has a greater mass than the other, it will require a greater force to balance the system. This relationship is known as the law of equilibrium.

5. How does the radius of the pulley affect the mass of the system?

The radius of the pulley does not directly affect the mass of the system, but it can impact the amount of force required to lift or move an object. A larger radius can decrease the amount of force needed, while a smaller radius will require a greater force. This relationship is known as the mechanical advantage of the pulley system.