1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Masses over a Pulley (w/ angular kinematics)

1. Oct 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://imgur.com/koz4PpI
    koz4PpI.jpg
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to calculate the net torque on the pulley as 55.88 and the Inertia as .352. Those could be wrong, but that's as far as I could get. I really have no idea. Any kind of help/explanation would be wonderful!
    uKqQHtJ.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi Cdh0127. Welcome to Physics Forums!

Please show details of what you've tried. Show us the formulas you've used and how you've applied them. It's hard to help you when we can't see what you're working with and what you've tried. Wrong answers don't tell us how they may have gone wrong.

4. Oct 27, 2016 #3
    I just added a screenshot of my work. I hope you can make sense of it xD

5. Oct 27, 2016 #4

gneill

You'd be better off laying out your work in text in a post, explaining the steps. That way helpers can quote the lines and point out issues. Otherwise you're expecting them to forensically untangle where you started and what you did from the scatter of notes on the image. You're really limiting the number of helpers who'll be willing to make the effort that way.

6. Oct 27, 2016 #5

gneill

Just to add my 2 cents from a quick perusal of your diagram, it doesn't appear that you went anywhere with the conservation of energy approach suggested in the problem statement. You went after torques and forces instead.

Rethink your approach. Where does the energy come from to make the system move? How much energy is made available from the initial position to the final position? Where does it go?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted