Masses over a Pulley (w/ angular kinematics)

In summary: What is the result?In summary, Cdh0127 seems to have tried to solve the homework equation, but he doesn't seem to have understood it very well. He could have done better by laying out his work in text, and explaining the steps.
Cdh0127

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/koz4PpI
koz4PpI.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to calculate the net torque on the pulley as 55.88 and the Inertia as .352. Those could be wrong, but that's as far as I could get. I really have no idea. Any kind of help/explanation would be wonderful!
uKqQHtJ.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cdh0127. Welcome to Physics Forums!

Please show details of what you've tried. Show us the formulas you've used and how you've applied them. It's hard to help you when we can't see what you're working with and what you've tried. Wrong answers don't tell us how they may have gone wrong.

Likes Cdh0127
gneill said:
Hi Cdh0127. Welcome to Physics Forums!

Please show details of what you've tried. Show us the formulas you've used and how you've applied them. It's hard to help you when we can't see what you're working with and what you've tried. Wrong answers don't tell us how they may have gone wrong.

I just added a screenshot of my work. I hope you can make sense of it xD

Cdh0127 said:
I just added a screenshot of my work. I hope you can make sense of it xD
You'd be better off laying out your work in text in a post, explaining the steps. That way helpers can quote the lines and point out issues. Otherwise you're expecting them to forensically untangle where you started and what you did from the scatter of notes on the image. You're really limiting the number of helpers who'll be willing to make the effort that way.

Just to add my 2 cents from a quick perusal of your diagram, it doesn't appear that you went anywhere with the conservation of energy approach suggested in the problem statement. You went after torques and forces instead.

Rethink your approach. Where does the energy come from to make the system move? How much energy is made available from the initial position to the final position? Where does it go?

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove in its rim and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force and make it easier to lift or lower an object. When one end of the rope is pulled, the other end moves in the opposite direction, allowing the object to be lifted or lowered.

2. What is the relationship between mass, acceleration, and force in a pulley system?

In a pulley system, the mass of an object and the acceleration it experiences are directly proportional to the force applied to the system. This means that the greater the mass of the object, the greater the force needed to accelerate it. Similarly, the greater the acceleration, the greater the force needed to achieve it.

3. How does angular kinematics apply to masses over a pulley?

Angular kinematics is the study of the motion of objects rotating around a fixed point or axis. In the case of masses over a pulley, the pulley acts as the axis and the object's motion is described in terms of its angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

4. What is the difference between ideal and real pulleys in a mass over pulley system?

An ideal pulley is one that is frictionless and massless, meaning that it does not add any resistance or weight to the system. In real pulleys, there is always some amount of friction and the pulley itself has a small mass, which can affect the motion of the object being lifted or lowered.

5. How does the number of pulleys affect the mechanical advantage in a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is equal to the number of ropes supporting the object. This means that the more pulleys there are in the system, the greater the mechanical advantage and the easier it is to lift the object. However, adding more pulleys also increases the distance the rope must be pulled, requiring more work to be done.