Massless limit of a dynamical system

In summary, the conversation discusses equations related to generalized crack dynamics and addresses questions about the massless limit and the inertial term. The equations and questions are explained and it is concluded that the massless limit is represented by dG(G-p(v)) = 0, not dG/dV = 0, and ignoring the inertial term from the start will not necessarily lead to this relationship.
muzialis
Hello All,

from considering the equations (apologies for the poor notation, primes denote differentiation)

G = mv' + p (v)

and

G' = a - v

(where v = v(t), for the interested is the crack speed for a genrelized crack dynamics model, m and a are constants, p a function)

one obtains the system

G' = a - v
v' = (1/m) (G - p (v))

Now I paper I found considers the function dG / dV, dividing the top eqautionby the lower one, and this represent the slope of integral curves in the phase plane, as

dG / dV = m (a - v) / (G- p(v))

Now it is said, considering the massless limit one gets

dG(G- p(v)) = 0.

This is my first question. I see how this comes out, but I am wondering, from the original equation dG / dV one mght be tempted to say tha the massless limit is dG / dV = 0, which is different from dG(G- p(v)) = 0.

Second point: should one not be able to get to the massless limit by ignoring the term mv' (inertial term) from the start?

If I try i do not recover the relationship dG(G- p(v)) = 0

Any help would be the most appreciated

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your equations and questions. It seems like you are working on a fascinating problem in generalized crack dynamics. Let me address your questions one by one:

1. The massless limit in the equation dG/dV = m(a-v)/(G-p(v)) comes from the fact that for a massless object, the term mv' becomes zero. This means that the massless limit is actually dG/dV = 0, which is the same as dG(G-p(v)) = 0. So, you are correct in saying that the massless limit in this case is dG(G-p(v)) = 0, not dG/dV = 0.

2. Ignoring the inertial term (mv') from the start will not necessarily lead to the relationship dG(G-p(v)) = 0. This is because the inertial term is still present in the original equations, and ignoring it from the start means that you are not considering the full dynamics of the system. In order to get the relationship dG(G-p(v)) = 0, you need to consider the full system of equations and then take the massless limit.

I hope this helps clarify your questions. Keep up the great work on your research!

Related to Massless limit of a dynamical system

What is the massless limit of a dynamical system?

The massless limit of a dynamical system refers to the scenario where the mass of a particle or object in the system approaches zero. This means that the object's inertia, or resistance to acceleration, becomes negligible.

Why is the massless limit important in physics?

The massless limit is important because it allows us to simplify complex systems and make mathematical calculations easier. It also helps us better understand the behavior of objects that have extremely small masses, such as photons or particles in the quantum realm.

What happens to the dynamics of a system in the massless limit?

In the massless limit, the dynamics of a system become highly relativistic. This means that the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, become significant. The system's behavior may also become more chaotic or unpredictable.

How is the massless limit related to the speed of light?

The massless limit is closely related to the speed of light because objects with zero mass, such as photons, travel at the speed of light. As an object's mass approaches zero, its speed also approaches the speed of light.

Can the massless limit ever be reached in real-world systems?

In theory, the massless limit can be approached but never truly reached in real-world systems. This is because all particles and objects have some mass, no matter how small. However, in certain scenarios, such as in the study of black holes, the mass of an object can become incredibly small and have a significant effect on the system's dynamics.