1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Master degree - Mathematical modelling or Astro?

1. Mar 26, 2014 #1
    I'm an udergrad, 2nd year physics.

I recently got interested in solar physics - one reason being, that I was offered to cooperate on a project, where I'll be doing some sunspot simulations.

I really like mathematics and I kinda like the mathematical modelling curriculum. However the curriculum for astrophysics is also interesting.

My question is - is mathematical modelling a good choice if I want to do plasma / MHD and how does it compare with astrophysics?

The mandatory subjects for astro are:
    Astrophysics 1,2
    Relativistic physics
    Some "lab course" at observatory
    Galactic and extragalactic astronomy 1,2
    Space electrodynamics
    Elementary processes in space physics
    Celestial mechanics

and for modelling:
    Quantum theory
    Approximate and numerical methods
    Thermodynamics and solid state mechanics
    Thermodynamics and non-newtonian fluids dynamics
    Finite elements method

Degree in plasma and surface physics is offered as well but I'm not sure I would be allowed to do my thesis on sunspots (which is important)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2014 #2
    You can study plasma physics in astrophysics, but from afar. Do you want to do hands-on stuff? If so, take the modeling route. But it sounds like you really prefer astronomy/astrophysics. Consider the job outlook though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook