Mastering ChE 2011 Process Analysis: Extra Credit for Problem #3.2 Explained

• Thread starter Smx_Drummerboy
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker recently took an exam in their Process Analysis class and did not perform well. However, their professor is offering extra credit opportunities. The extra credit problem involves finding the fraction vapor and liquid, as well as the composition of each stream in a feed stream containing methanol and water brought to equilibrium at certain conditions. The speaker is struggling with this class and finds their professor to be unhelpful. They are seeking any assistance or input from others. The book used in the class is Material Balances For Chemical Engineers by Ramon L. Cerro. Additionally, there is a correction that the professor meant to type "error" instead of "effort" when describing the problem.
Smx_Drummerboy
Hello, this is my first post in these forums, hopefully it proves to be helpful. I recently just took my 4th exam in my ChE 2011 Process Analysis class. I didn't do good on it at all. The good news is, the professor is giving us a chance to get some extra credit.

For Extra Credit:
Consider problem No. 3.2. There is an effort in this problem. What is it? How can you find the correct solution?

#3.2
Find the fraction vapor and *liquid and the composition of each stream.
* Here I assume he means the vapor and liquid composition, the way I typed it is how it appeared on the test.

Info for the problem:
A feed stream containing 22 mole% methanol and 78 mole % water is brought to equilibrium at 75 deg C and 760 mm Hg. The feed flowrate is 100lb-mole/hr.
Km=1.49=Xm/Ym, Kw=.38=Xw/Yw

This is about all that is given, the only other thing is a diagram with a system containing a feed stream and then an exit liquid and exit vapor stream.

I have struggled with this class all semester and still have yet to understand it. My professor isn't that great of a teacher. The book we are learning out of is Material Balances For Chemical Engineers by Ramon L. Cerro if that helps, this is Chapter 5 material.

Any help or input anyone can offer is more than I can say my professor has given and would be appreciated more than you can imagine.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is a correction apparently which helps a little...Instead of effort, he meant to type error. Maybe this will give someone and idea. I'm at a loss.

for sharing your experience and reaching out for help. It's great that your professor is offering extra credit to help improve your grade.

To answer the question, the effort in problem #3.2 is to find the fraction vapor and liquid, as well as the composition of each stream. This is a common task in process analysis, as understanding the composition and phase behavior of a system is crucial in designing and optimizing chemical processes.

To find the correct solution, you will need to use the given information, such as the feed stream composition and the equilibrium conditions (temperature and pressure), along with the equilibrium constants (Km and Kw). You can then use material balance equations and the equilibrium equations to solve for the unknown variables.

It's understandable that you are struggling with this class, as process analysis can be a challenging subject. It's important to reach out for help and seek additional resources, such as textbooks and online tutorials, to supplement your understanding. Also, don't be afraid to ask your professor for clarification or extra help outside of class.

Overall, keep working hard and don't give up. With determination and persistence, you can improve your understanding of process analysis and succeed in the class. Best of luck!

Related to Mastering ChE 2011 Process Analysis: Extra Credit for Problem #3.2 Explained

What is the purpose of "Mastering ChE 2011 Process Analysis: Extra Credit for Problem #3.2 Explained"?

The purpose of this assignment is to provide students with an opportunity to practice their problem-solving and critical thinking skills in the context of chemical engineering processes.

What is the format of the problem #3.2 in "Mastering ChE 2011 Process Analysis"?

The problem will likely involve a real-world scenario, a set of given data and parameters, and a specific question or objective that needs to be solved using process analysis techniques.

What is the level of difficulty for problem #3.2 in "Mastering ChE 2011 Process Analysis"?

The difficulty level of the problem may vary depending on the course and the instructor's preferences. However, it is likely to be at an intermediate to advanced level, requiring a good understanding of process analysis principles and techniques.

What resources can I use to help me solve problem #3.2 in "Mastering ChE 2011 Process Analysis"?

You can use your course materials, textbooks, and lecture notes to review relevant concepts and equations. You can also consult with your classmates, teaching assistants, or instructor if you need additional guidance.

How can I excel at problem #3.2 in "Mastering ChE 2011 Process Analysis" to earn extra credit?

To excel at this problem, it is essential to carefully read and understand the given data and parameters, identify the appropriate process analysis techniques to use, and accurately apply the relevant equations and principles. It would also be beneficial to double-check your work and show your step-by-step calculations to demonstrate your understanding of the problem-solving process.