Mastering Limit Laws to Correct Answers | Checking Limits"

• MHB
  • Thread starter phrox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the speaker discusses using various limit laws to solve different limit problems and clarifies the use of the constant multiple law. They also mention that the numerical answers for the first two problems are correct and that the third problem can be solved using the quotient law.
phrox
First of all, I have to use all the limit laws I can to get these answers correct as the prof said.

1)
lim (3x^3 + 2x^2)
x->1/3

I factored out x^2, put the x^2 in front of the limit(constant multiple law), plugged in 1/3 into the x's, then multiplied everything together and got 1/3 for my answer. Is the only limit law that can be used the constant multiple law?

2)
lim (3x^(2/3) - 16x^-1
x->8

I don't even see any laws I can use in this, so I just plugged in 8, did the powers and third root of 64, etc etc. and got my final answer to be 10. There must've been a law I could've used, is there?

3)
lim (sqrt(w+2)+1) / (sqrt(w-3)-1)
w->7

I think I'm over-complicating this one, can I just use the quotient law and just plug the w in and solve by dividing top by bottom? This is how I tried to do 3:
multiplied by the top conjugate, so I multiplied top and bottom by sqrt(w+2)-1 and everything just went too big and complicated. Any help?

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
phrox said:
First of all, I have to use all the limit laws I can to get these answers correct as the prof said.
To say whether your answers, or, rather, solutions, are correct, we need a complete list of limit laws you are allowed to use. For example, there is a law saying that if a function is continuous at a point, then its limit at this point coincides with its value. Using this law, all your problems are trivial, so I assume it is not allowed.

The numerical answers for 1) and 2) are correct.

phrox said:
I factored out x^2, put the x^2 in front of the limit(constant multiple law)
$x^2$ is most definitely not a constant because $x$ is tending to 1/3.

The laws I can use are:
Sum,Power,Roots,Constant Multiple, Product,Quotient. That's all I have in my notes.

So have I done #1 wrong since I can't use the constant multiple law?

phrox said:
The laws I can use are:
Sum,Power,Roots,Constant Multiple, Product,Quotient.
Strictly speaking, this is not enough. It does not even allow finding $\lim_{x\to3}x$. However, if you have the idenity function law (my name) that $\lim_{x\to a}x=a$, then you can do the problems just by parsing the expression and applying the correspoding law. If the top-level operation (the one you do last when you compute the value of the expression with a known $x$) is +, you apply the sum law; if the top-level operation is square root, you apply the root law, etc. The only thing is that you need to make sure that the limits of the smaller expressions exist and the operation with them makes sense (e.g., the limit of the denominator is not zero). You find this out when you parse the expression to the bottom.

phrox said:
So have I done #1 wrong since I can't use the constant multiple law?
You just use the product law instead. Also, there is no need to change the expression of which you take the limit (like factoring out $x^2$).

Oh okay, so for the 3rd question, is it correct just by using the quotient law?

phrox said:
so for the 3rd question, is it correct just by using the quotient law?
Yes, since the limit of the denominator is not zero.

Related to Mastering Limit Laws to Correct Answers | Checking Limits"

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It represents the value that a function is "approaching" as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

2. Why is it important to check answers when working with limits?

Checking answers when working with limits is important because it allows us to verify the accuracy of our calculations and ensure that we have correctly evaluated the limit. This helps us to avoid mistakes and gain a better understanding of the problem at hand.

3. How do you check if a limit exists?

To check if a limit exists, we first evaluate the limit at the given value. If the value of the limit is finite and does not approach positive or negative infinity, then the limit exists. We can also use algebraic techniques, such as factoring and simplifying, to check if the limit exists.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function as the input approaches the given value from one direction (either the left or the right). A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior of the function as the input approaches the given value from both directions.

5. Can limits be used to determine the continuity of a function?

Yes, limits can be used to determine the continuity of a function. A function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. If the limit does not exist or is not equal to the function's value at that point, then the function is not continuous at that point.