Mastering Rocket Telemetry: Books for Electronic Design and Data Transmission

• Engineering
  • Thread starter ergospherical
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocket
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for resources on spacecraft attitude determination and control, electronic component design and measurement, and data compression and transmission. The speaker mentions a theoretical reference book and expresses interest in finding practical books on these topics, specifically mentioning "Digital Communications: Fundamentals and Applications" by B Sklar and "A concise introduction to data compression" by D Salomon. The speaker also notes that they may need to start with a more basic text, such as Sklar's book, before moving on to more advanced treatments. They also suggest looking into books on ham radio for circuit design and construction.
ergospherical
I picked up the book Fundamentals of Spacecraft Attitude Determination and Control (F Landis Markley and J.L Crassidis), but this is quite a theoretical reference and I'm also trying to research the design of the electronic components and measuring devices and also how to write the software for compressing and transmitting the collected data back to Earth. On google I have found a few books that look promising*, but this is well out of my zone of familiarity so I do not know which are to be recommended:

B Sklar. Digital Communications: Fundamentals and Applications (2nd Edition). Prentice Hall, 2001. ISBN: 0130847887.
D Salomon. "A concise introduction to data compression". Springer Science & Business Media, 2007.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sklar is the classic undergrad text on modern communications techniques. Start there and move to more advanced treatments focusing specifically on compression and error correction later, if needed.

• Informative
Likes ergospherical
Note that comms theory and circuit design/construction are different fields. For the latter, I suggest books on ham radio like the ARRL Handbook.

Likes ergospherical

1. What is rocket telemetry?

Rocket telemetry is the process of collecting and transmitting data from a rocket during flight. This data can include information on altitude, speed, temperature, and other important factors that can help scientists and engineers understand the performance and behavior of the rocket.

2. Why is mastering rocket telemetry important?

Mastering rocket telemetry is important because it allows scientists and engineers to accurately collect and analyze data from rocket flights. This data can then be used to improve the design and performance of future rockets, making them safer and more efficient.

3. What are the main components of rocket telemetry systems?

The main components of rocket telemetry systems include sensors, transmitters, receivers, and data processing units. Sensors collect data from the rocket, transmitters send the data to the ground, receivers receive the data, and data processing units analyze and interpret the data.

4. How does data transmission work in rocket telemetry?

Data transmission in rocket telemetry involves the use of radio frequencies to send data from the rocket to the ground. The transmitter on the rocket sends out a signal containing the data, which is then received by a ground station and processed for analysis.

5. What are some challenges in mastering rocket telemetry?

Some challenges in mastering rocket telemetry include ensuring the accuracy and reliability of the data collected, dealing with interference from other signals, and designing systems that can withstand the extreme conditions of rocket flight, such as high speeds and temperatures.

Back