Navigating Quantum Computation: My Masters and PhD Prospects

In summary, the speaker is in their final year of undergraduate studies in mathematics and computer science with a focus on artificial intelligence. They are considering pursuing a masters degree in quantum computation and artificial intelligence, but are unsure of the best path to take. They mention that their top choice would be Imperial College London, but are concerned about the lack of courses in quantum computation. They also mention the option of studying theoretical physics, but are unsure about the jump from their current fields. The speaker's ultimate goal is to conduct research in quantum computation and artificial intelligence. They seek insight on which path to consider for their future career. The conversation also touches on the interdisciplinary nature of the field and the current gap between theory and hardware in quantum computing research.
jamesb1
I'm currently in my final year of BSc(Hons) in mathematics and computer science & A.I (applied math stream). Indeed, I'm starting to think about what masters I want to pursue and the kind of subject I would like to specialize in. I am really interested in quantum computation and the prospects of quantum artificial intelligence, but I am unsure how I can go about this. The imperial college London would be my top choice if I had to undertake a masters in artificial intelligence but it has only one unit called quantum computation in its syllabus so it may not be sufficient background for me to build or pursue a further career in this field, especially if I want to continue to a phd. Then again I am not sure, maybe I'll be allowed to consider quantum computation for my dissertation and it will not matter anyway. I was also considering taking a masters in theoretical physics (if I am allowed of course) and this will give me a good foundation for quantum computation, but this scares me since it seems like a massive jump from mathematics and computer science. In the end I really want to conduct research on quantum computation and artificial intelligence so this is a very confusing situation for me. Any insight that can be shared on this matter? Which choice should I consider more for this path?

Physics news on Phys.org
I only know how college works in the U.S. Sounds like you are in Europe. So I don't know how much research you do in a masters program in Europe.

The two major things in this case are algorithms and obviously quantum mechanics. I know that Seth Lloyd does research in quantum artificial intelligence, and he has a PhD in theoretical physics. There are of course people who have contributed to quantum computing research that are not physicists(Shor for example). I think the obvious route would be to do a masters in either field (CS or physics) at a university where your thesis research could be in quantum machine learning or any subtopic in theoretical quantum computation (error correction, etc.). It's an interdisciplinary field so you may even find universities that have quantum computing groups in the CS department. It's not so much the title of the degree that counts, but what topic you do your research in.

esuna said:
I only know how college works in the U.S. Sounds like you are in Europe. So I don't know how much research you do in a masters program in Europe.

The two major things in this case are algorithms and obviously quantum mechanics. I know that Seth Lloyd does research in quantum artificial intelligence, and he has a PhD in theoretical physics. There are of course people who have contributed to quantum computing research that are not physicists(Shor for example). I think the obvious route would be to do a masters in either field (CS or physics) at a university where your thesis research could be in quantum machine learning or any subtopic in theoretical quantum computation (error correction, etc.). It's an interdisciplinary field so you may even find universities that have quantum computing groups in the CS department. It's not so much the title of the degree that counts, but what topic you do your research in.
You're very right, thank you :)

Quantum Computing is a VERY young field and I wouldn't advice anyone to actively pursue it as a specialization. The "hardware" can be implemented in lost of different ways, and each method requires a different specialization/background (say atomic physics of superconductivity) meaning the actual work will also be very different. Hence, quantum computing is a sub-field in many different research areas.
There is tiny number of people who do "hardware independent" theoretical work and their background seems to be either physics or maths (I don't believe I've ever met someone who had a background in CS). Moreover, most of them also do other work in related areas. The main problem is that the hardware is way behind the theory, meaning it is currently impossible to implement any of the algorithms that have been developed expect in some very simplified (and not useful) cases so few people are interested in developing algorithms (with some notable exceptions that might influence how the hardware is implemented, e.g surface codes).

As a fellow scientist who has also navigated the world of quantum computation and artificial intelligence, I can completely understand your confusion and uncertainty about which path to pursue for your Masters and PhD. It's an exciting and rapidly evolving field, and it's great to see your interest in it.

Firstly, I would recommend doing some research on the specific programs and courses offered by different universities for Masters and PhD in quantum computation and artificial intelligence. Look for programs that have a strong focus on both quantum computation and artificial intelligence, as well as a good mix of theoretical and practical coursework. This will give you a solid foundation in both fields and prepare you for a career in research.

In terms of your options, I would suggest considering a Masters in theoretical physics only if you have a strong interest in the subject and are willing to put in the effort to bridge the gap between mathematics and computer science. While it may seem like a big jump, it can also be a valuable and unique perspective to have in the field of quantum computation.

On the other hand, if you are more interested in the practical applications of quantum computation and artificial intelligence, then a Masters in artificial intelligence with a focus on quantum computation may be a better fit for you. Look for programs that offer hands-on experience with quantum computing tools and technologies, as well as opportunities for research projects in this field.

Ultimately, the decision will depend on your interests and career goals. But whichever path you choose, make sure to keep yourself updated with the latest developments in the field and continue to build your knowledge and skills in both quantum computation and artificial intelligence. This will make you a valuable and well-rounded researcher in this exciting field. Best of luck with your decision and future studies!

1. What is quantum computation?

Quantum computation is a field of study that uses principles from quantum mechanics to perform calculations and solve problems that are beyond the capabilities of classical computers.

2. What are the potential applications of quantum computation?

Potential applications of quantum computation include cryptography, optimization problems, simulation of complex systems, and drug discovery.

3. What is the difference between classical and quantum computers?

Classical computers use bits, which can only represent 0 or 1, to perform calculations. Quantum computers use quantum bits, or qubits, which can represent both 0 and 1 simultaneously, allowing for more complex calculations and faster processing speeds.

4. What are the challenges in developing quantum computers?

Some of the main challenges in developing quantum computers include maintaining the fragile quantum state of qubits, reducing errors and increasing the accuracy of calculations, and scaling up the technology to handle more qubits.

5. What are the career prospects for someone with a Masters or PhD in quantum computation?

Career prospects for someone with a Masters or PhD in quantum computation are very promising, with opportunities in research and development at universities, government agencies, and private companies. There is also a growing demand for experts in quantum computation in industries such as finance, healthcare, and cybersecurity.