Masters or PhD program in engineering physics

In summary, there are several universities that offer engineering physics at the undergraduate and graduate level, including the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. Other options may include electrophysics programs or specialized programs in fields like nuclear physics or nuclear engineering. It is important to contact the specific department for more information on their graduate programs and research opportunities.
Fluxy
Are there any other places that offer engineering physics other than Cornell for masters or PhD?
I couldn't find any except applied physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at grad school shopper I found U Wisconsin has MS and PhD programs in engineering physics. http://www.engr.wisc.edu/ep/ep-academics-graduate-programs.html [Broken]

If you are looking more along the lines of EE/Physics, I believe that electrophysics programs are designed to be somewhere between physics and EE, but I don't think this is as popular as an EE or physics graduate degree. A lot of the topics are in either physics or engineering graduate programs. On the other hand, some may be split. For instance, Illinois has both nuclear physics and nuclear engineering graduate programs. Assuming you're interested in nuclear, you would decide which you would apply to based on possible research topics.

Last edited by a moderator:
A number of universities offer engineering physics at the undergraduate and graduate level.

University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (undergrad)
http://physics.illinois.edu/undergrad/ep-options.asp
http://provost.illinois.edu/programsofstudy/2013/fall/programs/undergrad/engin/engin_physics.html [Broken]

One would have to contact the department to check on the graduate program, but I believe they may have only a Physics or Engineering program.

I believe RPI has EP in their graduate school.
http://mane.rpi.edu/academics - "The department offers graduate programs in mechanical engineering, aeronautical engineering, nuclear engineering, and engineering physics." Contact th department for more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Embry riddle offers a PhD and a masters.

There are certainly other universities and institutions that offer engineering physics programs at the masters and PhD level besides Cornell. Some examples include MIT, Stanford, Caltech, University of California Berkeley, University of Michigan, and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Additionally, there may be international universities that offer engineering physics programs as well. It is important to thoroughly research and compare different programs to find the best fit for your academic and career goals.

1. What is the difference between a Masters and PhD program in engineering physics?

A Masters program in engineering physics typically takes 2 years to complete and focuses on practical applications of physics in engineering fields. On the other hand, a PhD program in engineering physics usually takes 5-6 years and is more research-oriented, often leading to a career in academia or advanced research positions.

2. What are the admission requirements for a Masters or PhD program in engineering physics?

Admission requirements may vary between universities, but generally, a Bachelor's degree in engineering, physics, or a related field is required for both programs. For a PhD program, a Master's degree may also be required. Other common requirements include letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a statement of purpose.

3. Can I work while pursuing a Masters or PhD program in engineering physics?

It is possible to work while pursuing a Masters or PhD program, but it can be challenging due to the heavy workload and research requirements. Some universities offer part-time options for these programs, which may make it easier to balance work and studies. It is important to carefully consider your time management skills and workload before deciding to work while pursuing a Masters or PhD in engineering physics.

4. What career opportunities are available with a Masters or PhD in engineering physics?

Graduates with a Masters or PhD in engineering physics have a variety of career options. Some may choose to work in research and development in industries such as aerospace, energy, or electronics. Others may pursue careers in academia as professors or researchers. The skills gained in these programs, such as problem-solving and critical thinking, are highly valued in many industries.

5. How can I choose the right university for a Masters or PhD program in engineering physics?

When choosing a university, it is important to consider factors such as the program's curriculum and research opportunities, the faculty's expertise, and the university's reputation in the field of engineering physics. It is also helpful to visit the campus and speak with current students or alumni to get a better understanding of the program. Ultimately, the best university will depend on your individual goals and needs.