Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Masters or phd to work at natioanl lab or industry?

  1. Mar 5, 2010 #1
    So, I am going to be graduating with a BS in physics next spring and I am unsure about what to to about grad school. I think I would like to work on renewable energy at a national lab or in an upcoming industrial company. I was thinking about going somewhere with an applied or engineering physics program, is this the correct path to seek? I really enjoy physics but almost equally enjoy the hands on, applicable side of engineering, so I figure a mix of the two would be ideal. Which level of degree would be appropriate for this type of career? would a master limit me to how far I can move up or whether or not I could oversee a project, which is what I think I would most like to do. Would a phd over qualify me for many positions and limit my job opportunities? I read the sticky and it helped a little, but the section about industry was lacking. I currently intern at general atomics and love what I do there and could really imagine working at a place like that for a career. However, I know there arent a whole lot of places like it so I want to expand my options.
    thanks all, i really appreciate it
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2010 #2
    I think you should definitely do a Master! After that you could do a PhD in the R&D of company that works in renewable energies or the like. You get to do hands-on practical research, supervised also by a university professor and you get already also some insight on how a company works.
  4. Mar 5, 2010 #3
    After 20 years of experience if wont matter if you have a phd or masters. But in the short term it will matter which degree you have. If you want to do research then a phd will not over qualify you. If you don't have a phd then you are only handicapping yourself compared to other in your field.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook